Mosier Plateau 4.20.14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
sprengers4jc

Mosier Plateau 4.20.14

Post by sprengers4jc » April 21st, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally, we had planned to do the Rowena Plateau but after getting a late start, and deciding to take Maggie, we decided to do this little trail and boy, am I glad we did! Incredible display of wildflowers on this trail, and spectacular views. We may have to put this on our 'must see' each spring. There are usually so many people on the wildflower hikes at this time of year that to only see 10 people or so was a very pleasant surprise. This hike featured at least 25 wildflower varieties, at least 4 different species of butterflies and moths and various birds and a turkey vulture.

The trail climbs from the bridge in Mosier up to the Pioneer Graveyard and then to Pocket Park and Mosier Creek Falls. Then, the switchbacks bring you up to the Plateau. The trail's terminus is on a bluff but there is a communication tower a bit higher up. I climbed up that way and saw a ton of butterflies and slightly better views of the Catherine Creek area and east toward what I believe was Rowena Plateau. There are some old cherry orchards behind the tower, too, and some more wonderful displays of balsamroot.

This hike is listed at 3.5 miles and about 600 feet of elevation. I will have to add additional pics below, as the system won't allow me to attach anymore now.
Attachments
12.jpg
Mosier Creek Falls
13.jpg
Eastern-Tailed Blue Butterfly, snacking on some Manroot.
14.jpg
Bachelor Button
15.jpg
Cluster Lillies
16.jpg
Sand Spring Beauty (I think)
17.jpg
Maggie, enjoying a short break before the next set of switchbacks.
18.jpg
One of three staircases on this trail
19.jpg
Big Headed Clover
20.jpg
Almost there!
21.jpg
Slopes of Balsamroot as we near the summit.
22.jpg
Turkey Vulture in flight
23.jpg
Looking over the Columbia toward what was surely masses of hikers at Catherine Creek.
24.jpg
Balsamroot, feeding a honeybee.
25.jpg
You can just barely see my wife Tracy under the tree in this picture :).
26.jpg
Ladybug
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

BrianEdwards

Re: Mosier Plateau 4.20.14

Post by BrianEdwards » April 21st, 2014, 4:08 pm

Cool view of Mosier Creek Falls. Spring is awesome out at Mosier
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 21st, 2014, 4:09 pm

Please feel free to correct any and all mistakes, as I may have missed the IDs on some of these flowers.

Additional Pics:
Attachments
1.jpg
Maggie was feeling a bit impatient with how long it was taking us to put our gaiters on for this hike :D.
2.jpg
The Mosier Bridge
3.jpg
Blue-Eyed Mary
4.jpg
Fiddleneck
5.jpg
Prairie Star
6.jpg
Pioneer Graveyard
7.jpg
Pioneer Grave
8.jpg
Naked Broomrape
9.jpg
Corydalis
10.jpg
Pocket park sign, nicely styled.
11.jpg
Mosier Creek
Last edited by sprengers4jc on April 21st, 2014, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Unknown

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 21st, 2014, 4:09 pm

Thanks, Brian. It's a great little waterfall!
-Unknown

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 21st, 2014, 4:59 pm

Thanks for this! You've filled in a few holes in my own tragic naming abilities. I was across the river in the Catherine Creek-Coyote Wall area Saturday. Believe it or not, there just weren't very many people there! All I can figure is everyone assumed, as you did, that it'd be a madhouse. Probably crossed paths with fewer than one other party per hour, on average.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 21st, 2014, 5:42 pm

Thanks, kepPNW! Glad to be of assistance in the naming process :D. One of these days, I will hike Coyote Wall. We were at Tracy Hill last week and had a great hike there, and saw Shooting Stars, Monkeyflowers, Camas, Death Camas, Ballhead Waterleaf and many other awesome varieties. Lots of wildflowers blooming all over this part of the Gorge. Such a spectacular corner of the world that we get to call home :).
-Unknown

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 21st, 2014, 5:58 pm

sprengers4jc wrote:Thanks, kepPNW! Glad to be of assistance in the naming process :D. One of these days, I will hike Coyote Wall. We were at Tracy Hill last week and had a great hike there, and saw Shooting Stars, Monkeyflowers, Camas, Death Camas, Ballhead Waterleaf and many other awesome varieties. Lots of wildflowers blooming all over this part of the Gorge. Such a spectacular corner of the world that we get to call home :).
A sample of what I saw over there on Saturday. I just sort of wandered aimlessly, for probably more than eight hours. Incredible day! (I think I know the names of probably 2/3 of them, now!)
Karl

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 21st, 2014, 6:34 pm

kepPNW wrote:
sprengers4jc wrote:Thanks, kepPNW! Glad to be of assistance in the naming process :D. One of these days, I will hike Coyote Wall. We were at Tracy Hill last week and had a great hike there, and saw Shooting Stars, Monkeyflowers, Camas, Death Camas, Ballhead Waterleaf and many other awesome varieties. Lots of wildflowers blooming all over this part of the Gorge. Such a spectacular corner of the world that we get to call home :).
A sample of what I saw over there on Saturday. I just sort of wandered aimlessly, for probably more than eight hours. Incredible day! (I think I know the names of probably 2/3 of them, now!)
Wow, what an amazing hike! Some of the others I see that haven't already been identified are #15 Pacific Hound's Tongue, #16 Woodland Strawberry, #18 Groundsel (a very pretty invasive species), #19 Chocolate Lily, #20 Columbia Desert Parsley, #21 Oregon Grape, #22 Larkspur, #24 Lupine not yet bloomed, #51 Milkvetch, and #52 Ballhead Waterleaf. Very beautiful collection of photos you have there!
-Unknown

chiefWright

Post by chiefWright » April 21st, 2014, 9:37 pm

Floralfantastica! You sure hit the flower jackpot on this trip, and it's zoomed up to the top of my next visit East of Hood River. Looks like Maggie had a good time, too.

I assume this is a "new" Friends of the Gorge trail? Do you have a map reference for this trail, or is it pretty obvious (unlike Catherine, where tracks go every which way)?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 22nd, 2014, 6:28 am

sprengers4jc wrote:
kepPNW wrote:A sample of what I saw over there on Saturday. I just sort of wandered aimlessly, for probably more than eight hours. Incredible day! (I think I know the names of probably 2/3 of them, now!)
Wow, what an amazing hike! Some of the others I see that haven't already been identified are #15 Pacific Hound's Tongue, #16 Woodland Strawberry, #18 Groundsel (a very pretty invasive species), #19 Chocolate Lily, #20 Columbia Desert Parsley, #21 Oregon Grape, #22 Larkspur, #24 Lupine not yet bloomed, #51 Milkvetch, and #52 Ballhead Waterleaf. Very beautiful collection of photos you have there!
Oh boy, you're gonna make me count! :) I knew some of those, but you've definitely filled in a few (more!) IDs for me. Thanks so much!
Karl