A Raging Oneonta Creek 2014/03/09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

A Raging Oneonta Creek 2014/03/09

Post by Guy » March 10th, 2014, 5:07 am

We went for a quick hike up Oneonta Creek yesterday as far as the Horsetail Creek Trail Junction & back. The falls & the creek were raging. Too wet to take a lot of pics but I pasted these cellphone video clips together!

http://youtu.be/Na-5JYlNi1w

On our hike up Tripple Falls was Double Falls, by the time we returned it was almost Tripple again. We had entertained the idea of doing a loop up & over Franklin Ridge but decided not to in the end. On the way down we met Jack who was going to do that, good to see you again Jack!

We hung out for a leisurely lunch at the campsite next to the creek at the Horsetail Creek Junction. We decided to light a fire just to see if we could!

For those Survivalists out their forget the parafin filled egg cartons & fire lighters the secret to getting a fire going with soaking wet wood is breath laced with Brandy ;) ..

There is a slide on the trail as you climb up from the boot path to upper Oneonta & Tripple Falls but easy to negotiate. We were going to go & check out upper Oneonta on the way down but the same slide has taken the boot path out so we didn't tackle that yesterday.

A Fun Day!
Last edited by Guy on March 10th, 2014, 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Re: A Raging Oneonta Creek 2014/03/09

Post by retired jerry » March 10th, 2014, 5:21 am

what? you don't like parafin filled egg carton for starting fire??? that's what I've been using lately. Works great to get wet wood burning. Looks like your superior fire bulding skills were sufficient.

I forget, is this #7 or #8?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 10th, 2014, 5:23 am

maybe if I said the egg carton weighs 0.1 ounce and add 0.25 ounce of parafin, wrap in foil on the bottom, put in oven at lowest temp until it melts and soaks into the egg carton, it would be #8?

Guy

Post by Guy » March 10th, 2014, 5:51 am

retired jerry wrote:what? you don't like parafin filled egg carton for starting fire??? that's what I've been using lately. Works great to get wet wood burning. Looks like your superior fire bulding skills were sufficient.

Haha, actually I do like your fire starter idea Jerry, I since I used up the last of my fire starters yesterday (Brandy Breath wasn't actually enough) I now have an excuse to make some!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Roy

Post by Roy » March 10th, 2014, 10:42 am

Guy wrote:
retired jerry wrote:what? you don't like parafin filled egg carton for starting fire??? that's what I've been using lately. Works great to get wet wood burning. Looks like your superior fire bulding skills were sufficient.

Haha, actually I do like your fire starter idea Jerry, I since I used up the last of my fire starters yesterday (Brandy Breath wasn't actually enough) I now have an excuse to make some!

Nice TR brandy breath first sounds a like a sound plan. I enjoy trying to light a fire once in a while in bad conditions its fun.

Forget those survival shows and the internet carry this in your pack.
bacardi1511.jpg
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 10th, 2014, 10:49 am

Wonderful report and video!! You really hit that trail at the right time to see some awesome sights.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 10th, 2014, 11:52 am

Maybe #10 is sucking other people into vaguely hiking related topic?

I say the 151 should be drunk, not burned up :) Or Everclear 95% (180 proof) is better because it weighs less.

The BTUs per ounce of alcohol is about half parafin. Assuming 100% alcohol. I think to get wet wood burning, it really helps to have some number of BTUs of fuel. So you'de need twice the weight of alcohol. One of my fire starters is 0.25 ounce wax + 0.1 ounce paper. Paper is about the same BTUs per ounce as alcohol. You'de need 0.6 ounces of alcohol, plus the weight of the container. If I do 5 nights, that would be 1.75 ounce for wax fire starters vs 4 ounces of alcohol (assuming 1 ounce container) so wax saves 2.25 ounces. Plus the wax fire starters have no chance of leaking.

You might consider this an argument that any weight savings are trivial so it doesn't matter :D

UTurn

Post by UTurn » March 10th, 2014, 1:53 pm

Loved it! But that creek crossing had me holding my breath!

Jack

Post by Jack » March 10th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Great video, Guy, and good to see you guys out there. I started a little late to avoid the rain and subsequently missed the cresting creeks, but they were still moving right along. I hope you don’t mind if I do a little piggybacking.

Triple Falls having a bad day

Top of the falls from the bridge

A side creek

Starting up to Franklin Ridge

Multnomah Creek

From the steel bridge

Ecola Falls

Multnomah Falls

Multnomah Falls was great with no people on the switchbacks and it was amazing to see Horsetail Falls spraying across the road into the parking lot.

Hope to see you guys out there somewhere again, soon! :)
Last edited by Jack on March 10th, 2014, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aircooled

Post by aircooled » March 10th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Nice TR, Guy! We hiked out from Nesika yesterday to the green gate and saw lots of water moving - and that was just on the road! Multnomah Creek was roaring - all the boulders submerged and banks overflowing. Even little Bridal Veil Creek was pounding down the mountain. Nice afternoon to be out.

Last edited by aircooled on March 10th, 2014, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.