Syncline Lunch Hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Syncline Lunch Hike

Post by drm » March 4th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Just partly cloudy out here this morning, melting the 6" of snow we got Sunday. So a 10 minute drive and half hour hike got me here:

On the way up:

And now back to the grind . . .

Grannyhiker

Re: Syncline Lunch Hike

Post by Grannyhiker » March 4th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Wow! Grass widows!

aircooled

Post by aircooled » March 4th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Nice! My fave is the Crybaby Trail, just because of the name. It'll be prime time out there soon. :)

drm

Post by drm » March 4th, 2014, 4:10 pm

aircooled wrote:Nice! My fave is the Crybaby Trail, just because of the name. It'll be prime time out there soon. :)
Syncline has the running water. Crybaby has the cliff views. But Syncline still has decent views, so I went that way.

As to the prime time season, the flowers and greenery are wonderful, but the crowds go up by a factor of 10. Had it to myself today. Just a light breeze and 55 deg.

SonOfTamarack

Post by SonOfTamarack » March 6th, 2014, 12:06 pm

Isn't that the Labyrinth trail? I thought Syncline was the Coyote Wall trail, along the clifftops to the west?

drm

Post by drm » March 6th, 2014, 1:22 pm

SonOfTamarack wrote:Isn't that the Labyrinth trail? I thought Syncline was the Coyote Wall trail, along the clifftops to the west?
Yes, it is the Labyrinth Trail, and I use that interchangably with syncline, though technically I think it is all part of the syncline as a geologic feature. I've also heard that it actually is not a syncline, it is an anticline. Somebody with more geological background would need to weight in on that.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 6th, 2014, 2:15 pm

drm wrote:
SonOfTamarack wrote:Isn't that the Labyrinth trail? I thought Syncline was the Coyote Wall trail, along the clifftops to the west?
Yes, it is the Labyrinth Trail, and I use that interchangably with syncline, though technically I think it is all part of the syncline as a geologic feature. I've also heard that it actually is not a syncline, it is an anticline. Somebody with more geological background would need to weight in on that.
Probably depends where you're standing. The only difference is the direction of the bend:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 6th, 2014, 3:16 pm

I thought it got pushed up by the cascade range, so on the east side it slopes to the east, on the west side slopes to the west. Maybe on the west side it gets so much rain you can't see it.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 6th, 2014, 3:42 pm

retired jerry wrote:I thought it got pushed up by the cascade range, so on the east side it slopes to the east, on the west side slopes to the west. Maybe on the west side it gets so much rain you can't see it.
I think it's more compressed and folded up. There's definitely a syncline across the river:

Odds are, the same formation is what you're walking on at Coyote Wall, but it's hard to see from that close. It sure seems to angle down towards the Labyrinth, as you go east. The anticline would be off in the void, to the west of Coyote Wall.

I'm sure that lava flow is older than the Columbia channel, which probably cut through it as it was pushed up.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...