Looking at old stuff near Chanticleer Point - 2/22/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Looking at old stuff near Chanticleer Point - 2/22/14

Post by justpeachy » February 23rd, 2014, 2:07 pm

Yesterday Greg and I headed out to the Gorge for some much-needed fresh air and exercise. We started off at Chanticleer Point (aka Portland Women's Forum State Park) where we admired the view in the frigid cold air. It couldn't have been above 40. Brrrr!!!

We headed down the old road from the viewpoint.

Lots of ferns growing off of the trees.

We reached the first of several old cars that were dumped here a long time ago. We also noticed a kids' bike up in the tree. How the heck did THAT get up there?

Greg descended the hill (way steeper than it looks here) to go look around.

A little further down the road was an old VW beetle. The slope wasn't as steep here so we both went down the hill this time.

Nearby was something red. I couldn't determine what this used to be.

We made our back to the road and continued on.

Where a creek gurgled out of a culvert the road continued down the hill past an old rusty gate.

We turned right onto a very old roadbed, heading east towards Crown Point.

We reached the site of what I'm guessing is an old homestead. There were all sorts of interesting things here.

Bamboo! I'm guessing the owners of the home planted this here many years ago since bamboo is not native to Oregon.

Best of all: wildflowers! The first ones I've seen this spring. (Correction: these are not wildflowers but domestic flowers planted by whoever lived here long ago.) Snow drops were growing all over the place around here. A sight for sore eyes, let me tell you! :D :D

We were now much closer to Crown Point than to Chanticleer Point. We considered continuing to see if the old roadbed would take us back to the historic highway, but since it wasn't on our GPS we didn't want to end up at some dead end. So we retraced out steps. Does anyone know where this goes?

This was a great trek for winter because it's easier to see this stuff when the foliage isn't leafed out. Plus it's something fun and interesting to do while waiting for spring. SPRING!! No more winter! So excited. :D

We headed over and did the Latourell Falls loop for a little more exercise before heading home. I was amazed at how many people were there. I counted more than 40 cars in the lot and along the road. The trail was as busy as Multnomah Falls. I've never seen this trail so incredibly busy!

Don Nelsen

Re: Looking at old stuff near Chanticleer Point - 2/22/14

Post by Don Nelsen » February 23rd, 2014, 2:33 pm

Excellent job - you captured that area with great photography!

The road goes to the RR line and there is a short section beyond that that ends at a gate at the freeway.

Thanks,

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 23rd, 2014, 2:36 pm

Good to know, Don. Thanks! Do you know anything about the home that used to stand at that site? (Or what I assume was a home.) Looks like it's been gone for many many decades.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 23rd, 2014, 2:40 pm

justpeachy wrote:Good to know, Don. Thanks! Do you know anything about the home that used to stand at that site? (Or what I assume was a home.) Looks like it's been gone for many many decades.
The home shows on the old maps but I don't know anything more. I think aircooled posted some info a while back. The green car is/was a '49 Studebaker.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 23rd, 2014, 4:17 pm

The green car is/was a '49 Studebaker.
A little buffing and it'll look like new! :lol:

Lots of vinca minor around the home site, too -- not as rampant as English ivy, fortunately, but it's common around old settlements in the Gorge (there's a good sized patch at Starvation Creek Falls).

Thanks for posting, Cheryl - nice report and photos! Oregon State Parks has this road on their radar as a future trail possibility, BTW.

-Tom :)

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » February 24th, 2014, 7:59 am

Hi all, I had a friend in the 80's that lived in a small cabin down that road, much of the time assisting on a project to get better federal protection in the gorge. It burned down many years ago. I don't know if it's the same place you saw. I'll have to wander down there and see what I remember. For some reason I had thought that it was now private and no trespassing.
Woodswalker

Peder

Post by Peder » February 24th, 2014, 9:14 am

justpeachy wrote:Image
Great picture of Greg driving the 1949 Studebaker! I had no clue that there was an old road off the Women's Forum State Park, so cool! Now I need to go explore, yet again. :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » February 24th, 2014, 9:58 am

It's been a few years since we took that old path but I had emailed a ranger for more info at that time. Due to an email screw up a year or so ago, I lost the email but from what I recall, he had worked that area for 20+ years and said there were 7-8 old cars up there, along with two motorcycles and a couple of different little ponds to be found. We never found any of the motorcycles! :(

The trike in the tree is a mystery but since that used to be the road to reach the old highway, it was theorized that perhaps all the old vehicles were accidents and the carcasses of the vehicles were too difficult to retrieve. Perhaps the bike flew out of one of the cars during an accident? Or, someone just heaved it in there to get rid of it without having to pay a fee to the dump ;).

And yes, as Don said, the road stops at the railroad tracks. It's a neat little trail, and no matter when you hike it, there never seems to be anyone on it. Thanks for the post, it was nice to revisit this old 'friend.' Now I'm inspired to go back :).
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Zombie Response Team

Post by Zombie Response Team » February 24th, 2014, 10:35 am

Great TR!
Last edited by Zombie Response Team on February 24th, 2014, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aircooled

Post by aircooled » February 24th, 2014, 12:37 pm

Fantastic TR!!! Excellent photos!! I'll have to add these spots to the Gorge "Tour de Coupe"

I stopped by there the other day but was too pooped from exploring to explore any more and reminded myself to go back. Now I have to go.