Hamilton Mtn 14-Jan-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Hamilton Mtn 14-Jan-2014

Post by VanMarmot » January 15th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Had time yesterday for a quick hike - with a promise of sunshine - so decided on the Hamiltion Mtn classic. Plus Washington had thoughtfully (+$35) just sent me my 2014 Discover Pass, so I needed to start the amortization process. Fog banks on the way out but a hint of clearing once I was away from the TH.

The valley fog made Beacon Rock look like the dorsal fin of some giant creature swimming up the Columbia,

and made the Gorge itself look like it was experiencing a range fire.

Higher up, I caught s glimpse of Hood.

From the summit, the gathering clouds did relent long enough to spare me a good view of Table and Adams.

On the way up, I was discouraged to see several more switchback cuts - that were turning into gullies - damaging the trail. On top it was obvious that someone had stolen the summit sign (again). Last time they just beat it to pieces and then stole the remains.

Kind of ruins it for first-timers/visitors who like a summit sign in their photos. Sigh :roll: I guess I know where part of my Discover Pass fee is going this year. Alas, the high clouds were moving in and that promise of sunshine was proving to be a pack of meteorological falsehoods! Time and the weather were now conspiring to shorten the hike but I did want to see the famous Hamilton cabin first. So down the road and on toward the Equestrian TH, stopping to try close-ups with a new camera (still on a learning curve with this one).

After some wet XC, I came up on the cabin (shack?), which didn't look too bad from the back,

but had taken "access to the outdoors" a bit too far in the front.

After that, the fog was back and it was time to call it a hike.

A classic hike (it's in all the guidebooks). Weather could have been less deceitful but great exercise and I finally saw the cabin! Beats working...

Last edited by VanMarmot on March 2nd, 2016, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crusak

Re: Hamilton Mtn 14-Jan-2013

Post by Crusak » January 15th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Nice day on the trial for you. :) I realized this past weekend that my Discovery Pass is good for a couple more months, and I think I might hit Hamilton soon. Still trying to get my trail legs back after taking some time away.

I've never been to the cabin/shack up there before. Is that a total bushwhack to get there, or is it close to one of the trails? I don't remember.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 15th, 2014, 6:47 pm

Very close to the main trail that heads towards Hardy Falls and where the power lines cross the trail
Crus, hardcoded into the mapset as well as Hamilton Cabin. Originally made famous around PH by
Romann, IIRC, but I'm sure other members have posted mentions of it before that :)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 16th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Crusak wrote:Nice day on the trial for you. :) I realized this past weekend that my Discovery Pass is good for a couple more months, and I think I might hit Hamilton soon. Still trying to get my trail legs back after taking some time away.

I've never been to the cabin/shack up there before. Is that a total bushwhack to get there, or is it close to one of the trails? I don't remember.
Do what you can to amortize your Discover Pass - as now you're helping to pay for a new summit sign.

The cabin is pretty accessible from below. Follow the Hamilton Mtn trail to where it junctions with the upper trail back to the campground, turn left and follow that trail to a bench on the left and a big rock on the right. Turn right toward the rock and you should see a use trail starting there and heading up under the powerlines. Follow that up to the powerline service road and then head into the trees and then angle up and left to the cabin - you should come acoss it in about 0.25 mi.

BakerDan

Post by BakerDan » January 16th, 2014, 5:45 pm

Wow! Those photos of the low clouds look incredible, especially the Gorge monster! Classic hike, indeed!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » January 16th, 2014, 8:14 pm

VanMarmot wrote:
Crusak wrote:Nice day on the trial for you. :) I realized this past weekend that my Discovery Pass is good for a couple more months, and I think I might hit Hamilton soon. Still trying to get my trail legs back after taking some time away.

Do what you can to amortize your Discover Pass - as now you're helping to pay for a new summit sign.

The cabin is pretty accessible from below. Follow the Hamilton Mtn trail to where it junctions with the upper trail back to the campground, turn left and follow that trail to a bench on the left and a big rock on the right. Turn right toward the rock and you should see a use trail starting there and heading up under the powerlines. Follow that up to the powerline service road and then head into the trees and then angle up and left to the cabin - you should come acoss it in about 0.25 mi.
Thanks! Adding that to my next Hamilton exploration. ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando