Ramona Falls 12/27

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Ramona Falls 12/27

Post by pdxgene » December 27th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Matt and I met up out in Sandy for what was going to be a trip up to Burnt Lake. But the road to the trailhead became solid ice at the top of the first hill where you start to wind down to the little creek crossing. It just did not look worth the risk. The margin of error is near zero. Those aren't my favorite odds. So we went rainbow hunting at Ramona Falls instead. I got the pot o gold :lol: But he's got some incredible looking long exposure shots to add a bit later. Photo descriptions here http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/RamonaFalls52
Check out the springlike conditions thru the canyon alongt he creek to the falls. That was above the section of trail icy enough to need Yak-Trax but it was mostly gone by this afternoon. Just a thin layer of ice from the Sandy to the canyon. It looked worse on the Sandy River side but we went out and back thru the canyon. It's much nicer that direction. The Sandy stretch is pretty dull. Anyway, this is what the world looks like in the 3,000' to 3,500' range outside the perpetually foggy metro area.. What a day... Yay sun!

Sadly there was one casualty sometime over the past few weeks. One of the nicest little minifalls along Ramona Creek was no more....
In memory....

BrianEdwards

Re: Ramona Falls 12/27

Post by BrianEdwards » December 27th, 2013, 7:26 pm

We finally know what's really at the end of the rainbow :mrgreen:
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » December 27th, 2013, 8:33 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:We finally know what's really at the end of the rainbow :mrgreen:

:D :lol: :lol: The Gene in the rainbow pic is epic!!!

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » December 27th, 2013, 10:36 pm

What a wonderful hike and day! Thanks for the invite Gene. Here are 10 photos from today:

The fifth, sixth and seventh photos there are some of my favorites from this calendar year. So much beauty there is in nature! Here's a link to the full set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattisnotf ... 105531443/

If you're planning a trip up to Ramona Falls in the future, go right now! The crossing is easy, the crowds are minimal, there's almost no snow, the road is clear and the scenery is tough to beat!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 28th, 2013, 9:55 am

The roads to the trailhead were no problem? It's hard to believe, but I've never been to Ramona Falls... maybe this would be a good time to check it out.

Also, do you think we might avoid some of the morning ice if we started out on the Sandy River trail and then came back on the canyon trail?

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » December 28th, 2013, 11:07 am

adamschneider wrote:The roads to the trailhead were no problem? It's hard to believe, but I've never been to Ramona Falls... maybe this would be a good time to check it out.

Also, do you think we might avoid some of the morning ice if we started out on the Sandy River trail and then came back on the canyon trail?
Nothing but a touch of frost on the road to the Ramona Falls lot and also to the Lost Creek Campground. The ice started about a half mile up the dirt road to Burnt Lake.
The ice was worse leaving the falls back towards the Sandy (picture after the first falls picture above) when we started to go check out the guard station cabin. We didn't feel like putting Yak-Trax back on though so we just went back to the falls. We did not need them at all coming out. In previous years the Sandy side always has had rougher conditions (more snow , ice, whatever). We didn't go that way so I can't confirm that's the case this time.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 29th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Went up there today and did the loop clockwise... no problems. (And how often do you get Ramona Falls all to yourself?!) There was one short downhill section just south of the falls that was pretty icy, but there was enough still-crunchy snow around the edges that it wasn't an issue.

FYI, the easiest river crossing spots are just a bit upstream from the trail. There were several fallen log options.

gofastmonkey

Post by gofastmonkey » December 30th, 2013, 9:40 am

Great photos! Especially the rainbow shots! Also I really need to take some long exposure shots on my hikes, very nice!
“You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!” - Dr Seuss

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 1st, 2014, 6:48 pm

More photos from my Sunday hike: http://adamschneider.net/photos/2013-12-rf/