Silver Star Summit Overnighter 12-29 to 12-30

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chase

Silver Star Summit Overnighter 12-29 to 12-30

Post by Chase » December 31st, 2013, 9:41 am

Kep and I texted weeks ago about conditions on Silver Star this winter. By late December could it be done without too long of a snowshoe in? If road walking was necessary due to snow levels, how far of a walk might it be before the TH?

Turns out this was all for naught (thanks, anyway, Kep). You can walk right up like any autumn day except for a few minor icy spots.

Potato, ebishop, and I headed up there late in the morning on the 29th. We risked no Discovery Pass and that turned out OK.

Are the bullet holes a statement about the usage fees or because someone with a gun wanted something to shoot at?

Up the part that feels like a road.

Saw a guy bundling bear grass. No idea what this is about. ???

Nice weather!

If you pass this Douglas Fir cone, you will know where we took a break.

Not enough ice to stop for microspikes.

Oops, forgot to set the focus to infinity!

This was just after we heard three reports that sounded too soft to be from a gun, but too distinct to be anything like firecrackers. Turns out it was a young man shooting an air rifle from the summit. I spoke with the gentleman a few minutes later and he seemed nice, but had no response when I asked what he was shooting at. Yipes!

ebishop hanging out downslope out of gunman's sight line until he left.

Clouds moved in.

We wanted to sleep on the summit (OK, not the true summit, but the one south of it), so we used a mountaineering tent and cozied up inside when it got dark.

Bad iPhone photo of sunrise.

This is how Potato and ebishop make tea. I just had hot cocoa.

The whole deal turned out to be great. Potato and ebishop were excellent company, as usual, and I got to wake up on a mountaintop the morning of my 40th birthday.

Here's a timelapse of our tent:

http://youtu.be/UMx3U4IC0ps

retired jerry

Re: Silver Star Summit Overnighter 12-29 to 12-30

Post by retired jerry » December 31st, 2013, 9:49 am

Nice idea. I've camped out there before too, although not at summit. Nice views.

Beargrass - for florists.

It seems like there are more used beer bottles and bullet holes around there. Maybe more likely your car would be vandalized if parked overnight?

(Just trying to get a reaction from Tom/Roy :D )

potato

Post by potato » December 31st, 2013, 9:56 am

I had an awesome time, thanks again for the invite Chase, and happy birthday! Since it was your birthday and I am a nice guy, I won't point out that it's actually your 41st birthday, since you turned 0 on your 1st birthday, 1 year old on your 2nd birthday etc. :p

We camped on top of the hill pictured here

chase and ebishop sitting near the top

self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

ebishop

Post by ebishop » December 31st, 2013, 2:22 pm

Chase, it was lovely to camp at Silverstar with you. Happy birthday and thanks for the invite!

Peder

Post by Peder » December 31st, 2013, 2:29 pm

Happy birthday Chase!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

aircooled

Post by aircooled » December 31st, 2013, 3:09 pm

Happy birthday, Chase - and thanks for the TR. Looking at Silver Star from Nesika recently it looked mighty brown for late December. Did you melt snow or find the water source I keep hearing about but can never find?

Re: that rifle, we were up there recently doing the Sturgeon Rock loop. Ran into a guy in camos at the summit with a rifle, a massive knife, some medieval looking spiked pole and the nastiest dog I've ever met on the trail. We asked him if he was hunting and he just said "nope." Errr, ok.

payslee

Post by payslee » December 31st, 2013, 4:32 pm

Nice that you guys had such great weather to celebrate Chasemas! Love the time lapse.

-payslee

Guy

Post by Guy » December 31st, 2013, 5:54 pm

Re: that rifle, we were up there recently doing the Sturgeon Rock loop. Ran into a guy in camos at the summit with a rifle, a massive knife, some medieval looking spiked pole and the nastiest dog I've ever met on the trail. We asked him if he was hunting and he just said "nope." Errr, ok.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The 40's, ah yes I remember them fondly :)
Happy Birthday Chase
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chase

Post by Chase » December 31st, 2013, 6:05 pm

Thanks, everybody. I've successfully made the leap from young weirdo to old weirdo.

goingrouge

Post by goingrouge » December 31st, 2013, 6:38 pm

Wow, I just looked up how much Bear Grass from a florist sells for. Looks like I am in the wrong business!