Waterfalls of the Gorge Full Preview! One week only!

Classifieds are for posting non-commercial offers of goods and services among forum members related to hiking, hiking gear and other directly related items of interest. All new topics require moderator approval.
chameleon

Waterfalls of the Gorge Full Preview! One week only!

Post by chameleon » December 15th, 2013, 1:31 pm

For the Gorge affecianados out there, I decided to make a full preview of a full preview of Waterfalls of the Columbia Gorge available at blurb (for one week only). If you've ever been curious about the hidden gems of the Gorge, please check it out! There are pics of everything from remote Eagle Creek tributary falls to the mysterious 150 ft Mill Creek Falls. Additionally, the book is filled with Gorge history, Indian legends (even legends about Latourell and Horsetail Falls!), and information (and pics) celebrating the rare natural wonders of the area (such as a list of wildflowers that live nowhere else on earth). You can check the book out here... http://www.blurb.com/books/2964559-wate ... mbia-gorge. Thanks for looking!

forestkeeper

Re: Waterfalls of the Gorge Full Preview! One week only!

Post by forestkeeper » December 15th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Thanks for your hard work! Looking forward to purchasing your book. Any autographed editions?
Last edited by forestkeeper on December 16th, 2013, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 15th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Fantastic book, Zach. So glad it's here, your stuff was always above and beyond in its difficulty and quality of documentation. I'm not sure legendary is a strong enough word. Can't wait to own it

(Will, before you were here on PH's, Chameleon absolutely conquered the gorge waterfall scene, doing canyoneering trips that were mind blowing. Zach would document his waterfall findings with superb photography and narratives. Best part was he would share em with us openly! It was an amazing journey worth spending that high of coin on. If you're bored, go back and find chameleons posts from 2008-2010 on here, it's some great reading)
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » December 15th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Brian! Thank you so much for the kind words! I wish there was something I could do on the price, but printing 380 page color books on demand is very expensive :(. It was my only option though - publishers lose money on color books, but I really wanted to do this project right - and that meant a big color book. I hope anyone who gets it, will see it more as a well researched piece of art, as opposed to an ordinary, mass produced bookstore publication. That said, if the opportunity ever presents for me to do something to get the price down I will!

Thanks again Brian for your support, and all the encouragement you gave while I was working on it!!

rcPDX

Post by rcPDX » December 15th, 2013, 6:33 pm

it's beautiful!

jdemott

Post by jdemott » December 16th, 2013, 9:27 am

Thanks for sharing the preview. It looks like a beautiful book!
That said, if the opportunity ever presents for me to do something to get the price down I will!
I completely agree with your point about viewing the book as a work of art. Just a few minutes looking at the preview makes it obvious what a labor of love it is, so it would be a shame to have a low quality print job.

If you want to explore less expensive options, perhaps e-book formats might offer a quality product at lower cost. I think it is relatively easy to self-publish a Kindle book on Amazon, as long as you already have the book in one of several common digital formats, such as .doc, or html, or pdf. The basic Kindle readers are black and white, but the newer readers are color, and Kindle books can also be read on tablets, on laptops, etc. Your photos would look gorgeous on an iPad. I wouldn't presume to tell an artist how to best present his work, but if you're looking to make the work more accessible to a wider audience, it might be an option.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » December 18th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Thanks Rcpdx and Jdemott! I appreciate your kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed the preview! Thanks as well for the good suggestions - especially about looking into the ebook option. That's a great idea. I think it'll require a substantial bit of reformatting, but it might be worth it. Thanks again!