Olallie / Monon Lake Loop(s) 10/23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Olallie / Monon Lake Loop(s) 10/23

Post by pdxgene » October 23rd, 2013, 8:31 pm

The mid 60's forecast was just too tempting to resist not heading up to Olallie Lake for a late October visit. And the weather was as promised. We saw not a soul on the 6 1/2 miles or so around part of Olallie and all the way around Monon Lake and then back the same way on Olallie where the views are better and you skip the road stretch on the opposite side. The fall color was hanging on surprisingly nicely around Monon Llake where the sun seems to hit it just right.. Road 4220 didn't fare too well in the Sept. storms and was much rougher than earlier this year. Still makeable but I was glad not to be driving today. Twice a year for my car is enuf.
Anyway, a look at an absolutely great October day near 5,000'. Descriptions here http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/OlallieLake18
Oh yeah, one other note. There seemed to be quite a few larch trees turning color, mainly spread out in the forest along fs4220. I'd never noticed them there before but I guess this was a later than usual trip.

Zia

Re: Olallie / Monon Lake Loop(s) 10/23

Post by Zia » October 23rd, 2013, 8:40 pm

Looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for the TR

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » October 23rd, 2013, 10:21 pm

Wow! After the September we had, who'da thought one could experience Olallie like this in late Oct
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » October 23rd, 2013, 10:55 pm

:) Awesome pics, Gene. I'll be heading up there in the morning. Thinking about hiking the Lower Lake/Frog Lake Trail or the Olallie Butte Trail which I hiked back in July. Now seeing your beautiful (as always ;) ) photos, just might have to hike the Monon Loop instead. Thanks for the inspiration.

Will

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 24th, 2013, 6:42 am

Wow, almost like summer! :D After that rough wet start we had to fall I'm pleased to see such a turnaround in the weather.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 24th, 2013, 7:08 am

It was almost hard to remember that it was late October and that it's not really supposed to be like that there. The water was almost warm enough for a swim... but not quite..
If anyone is looking for an uncrowded place to spend one of these last days of the warm stretch, the nice thing is a good chunk of the trail is in the open sun and the day use area gets sun thru the afternoon. It's nice and wide open.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 24th, 2013, 7:10 am

forestkeeper wrote::) Awesome pics, Gene. I'll be heading up there in the morning. Thinking about hiking the Lower Lake/Frog Lake Trail or the Olallie Butte Trail which I hiked back in July. Now seeing your beautiful (as always ;) ) photos, just might have to hike the Monon Loop instead. Thanks for the inspiration.

Will
Thanx Will! Yeah, that whole shore section on the side of Monon Lake where it's brushy is all lit up bright red in the sun. It was a really nice surprise to see that so late in the season.

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » October 25th, 2013, 6:21 am

Forestkeeper,
Most of the color from Fish Lake, past Lower, and PCT to Olallie, is gone. Did that hike on Sunday. Still enjoyable, but not as colorful as Monan appears to be. Very few people on Sunday so not surprising that a weekday was almost empty. My husband dropped me off at Fish and I hiked up to Olallie where he spent the morning fishing. A few patches of snow like the one pictured along the way. Had to walk around the flooded trail in a couple spots.

Discouraging to find a campfire still sizzling-hot and smoking in an empty campsite at the far end of Paul Dennis. My good deed for the day was to drown it out.
Kelly

Roy

Post by Roy » October 25th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Have not replied to you yet, but your fall trs are stunning,

What camera have you upgraded to.? I'm looking my phone and old Cannon power shot
have done the job time to upgrade

Thanks ---Tom
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 26th, 2013, 6:30 am

Roy wrote:Have not replied to you yet, but your fall trs are stunning,

What camera have you upgraded to.? I'm looking my phone and old Cannon power shot
have done the job time to upgrade

Thanks ---Tom
Hey, thanx! I have the Pentax K-30. The main reason I picked that particular one is that it's weatherproof. Though for the fall shots the sun gets most of the credit. I just have to find the right spot to take the picture. And that involves walking in lots of small circles sometimes. In which case it's probably good that I'm by myself and not driving a hiking partner nuts.. :)