Spectacular day at Silver star

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Spectacular day at Silver star

Post by Roy » October 20th, 2013, 8:55 pm

I left this am with the intent on a quick trip up Grouse Vista, it was foggy and 37 when I left home. When I got to the Larch honor camp it was clear and the moon was glowing.

Had asked Will (Forestkeeper) to join me but they changed his work days. That's all right first solo hike I have had since Mt Mc Laughlin last July.

Up the trail it was in the 50's.

The little knob on the ridge is something I have thought about going up for a few years.

ImageImage

I took a old road and worked my way around to the south side of it.

It was a fun little scramble and not so hard.

I continued up the ridge and scrambled up a few more smaller rocks, you can see the north side of my first bumb had a walk up ridge on the north.

I worked my way back to the main trail in shorts the bushwacking was nicking my legs. And I saw some summer and fall along along the way.

Once I made the top the air was so clear you could see Saddle Mt, Goat rocks annd the 3 Sisters to the south

The 3 Sisters are showing with Jef in this shot.

Goat rocks.

It was a fun day only saw about 10 people and most were coming from Eds trail.

Very warm day in the sun I recorded a high temp of 80 on the way down in the last exposed sections of the trail.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Eric Peterson

Re: Spectacular day at Silver star

Post by Eric Peterson » October 21st, 2013, 9:44 am

Almost went there too but went to Table instead.

Nice picx! :-)

How much time did you spend writing this TR?

Roy

Post by Roy » October 21st, 2013, 10:55 am

Eric Peterson wrote:Almost went there too but went to Table instead.

Nice picx! :-)

How much time did you spend writing this TR?
It was a great day, I get your comment I am a slow hiker now my wife prefers to just keep a pace and from start to finish. Me stopping to take photos and not being able to catch up makes for a long day. We have been doing this stuff 35 years I see her point. She has no problem with my slowness

My post had nothing to do with writing trs it was about how much time do you spend on a hike taking photos so you can post one.

And I know some people do that.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 21st, 2013, 11:04 am

Roy wrote:The little knob on the ridge is something I have thought about going up for a few years.
Is that Pyramid Rock? (Remembering "The Wraparound!")
Roy wrote:My post had nothing to do with writing trs it was about how much time do you spend on a hike taking photos so you can post one.

Ahhhhh! That wasn't at all clear in that other thread! :)

I'm not sure I spend any extra time during the hike. Maybe a couple-few minutes at most?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Roy

Post by Roy » October 21st, 2013, 12:55 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Roy wrote:The little knob on the ridge is something I have thought about going up for a few years.
Is that Pyramid Rock? (Remembering "The Wraparound!")
Roy wrote:My post had nothing to do with writing trs it was about how much time do you spend on a hike taking photos so you can post one.

Ahhhhh! That wasn't at all clear in that other thread! :)

I'm not sure I spend any extra time during the hike. Maybe a couple-few minutes at most?

maybe thats it i always think sturgenon rock is pyramid rock and then someone reminds me. sure looks like the same rock in that video.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 22nd, 2013, 8:21 pm

Tom-Roy,

Nice TR and really nice pics - what a great October we are having!! I like your hat - I almost bought one like it at Bubba Gumps in Kona last year but decided I had enough hats already. :)

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » October 23rd, 2013, 8:15 am

:) Awesome TR and pics Tom!!! As soon as I get back to a "normal" life, I'll hire you to be my personal Silver Star guide, so don't give up on me yet. ;) Those rocks look really cool. Can't wait to explore.

Will

Roy

Post by Roy » October 23rd, 2013, 9:12 pm

forestkeeper wrote::) Awesome TR and pics Tom!!! As soon as I get back to a "normal" life, I'll hire you to be my personal Silver Star guide, so don't give up on me yet. ;) Those rocks look really cool. Can't wait to explore.

Will
Don Nelsen wrote:Tom-Roy,

Nice TR and really nice pics - what a great October we are having!! I like your hat - I almost bought one like it at Bubba Gumps in Kona last year but decided I had enough hats already. :)

dn
Don-- I was in Vegas and saw that hat and had to have it.My first time in Vegas and stayed at the Beligio. Was defiantly awe struck at what they have built there. Was equally impressed by Hover dam.

Will-- we will get together again.

Thanks for the compliments but it was the beauty of the day that made the tr not me.