Historical Films of Interest

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Chase

Re: Historical Films of Interest

Post by Chase » December 28th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Short vid of Multnomah Falls in 1939.

Chase

Post by Chase » December 28th, 2012, 8:07 pm

This is how old people treated the cameraman in '48.

Chase

Post by Chase » December 28th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Crater Lake and a bunch of mountains that you all love. 1938.

You're welcome.

pablo

Post by pablo » December 28th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Chase wrote: [...]
Short vid of Multnomah Falls in 1939.
Neat collection of videos you've added - almost a Marilyn Monroe 'Seven Year Itch ' moment on that Crown Point clip. The snowball bunch didn't look much prepared for an assault on Hood. I take it that a couple of these are home movies that someone posted on youtube?

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » June 3rd, 2013, 7:20 pm

A very dry 1950's film explaining how radioactive material dumped into the Columbia doesn't harm fish.

Hanford Science Forum

http://youtu.be/SaE0GfeqTDc
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

AFLitt

Post by AFLitt » October 10th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Chase wrote:

Anyone know where the scene from 1:20 was shot?
I've been wondering this too. Pretty clearly they fudged a little here and included something not on the Highway itself, but just after that lookout, they show a view of Bonneville from above. Was there an old lookout up there at one point that could be driven to?

The other thought that crossed my mind is that it could have been Larch Mountain. Not sure if there used to be a look out up there, but the road has been up there a long time and, logged, the view might look like that near the end of the road, curving up to the parking lot.
Recreating The Historic Columbia River Highway:http://www.recreatingthehcrh.org/

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 10th, 2013, 5:47 pm

AFLitt wrote:
The other thought that crossed my mind is that it could have been Larch Mountain. Not sure if there used to be a look out up there, but the road has been up there a long time and, logged, the view might look like that near the end of the road, curving up to the parking lot.
There was a lookout on Larch and I remember it well. However, it was way higher up than the one in the film. I do not know where that was shot but I will study it. Great mystery!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

payslee

Post by payslee » December 13th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Here's a fun one for winter.

the Skyway Bus.
skyway bus.jpg
I don't actually know how to embed video, but there's a fun one at the link!

-payslee

viking

Post by viking » December 14th, 2013, 8:34 pm

last I knew the old Skyway tram bus was rotting away in a blackberry bush along the Necaticum river off hwy 26.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » December 15th, 2013, 10:57 am

Fail on the embed but here's a link to a 1920's film "Felling the Forest Giants" the entire film can be purchased from http://www.qualityinformationpublishers.com/

Below is a image of Larch mountain taken from the Dogami lidar viewer. You can see a dotted line pattern of indentations made by logging operations. About 30 seconds into the clip you can see how these indentations are made.
Capture5.JPG
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White