The Last Point in (Indian) Heaven 08-Sep-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

The Last Point in (Indian) Heaven 08-Sep-2013

Post by VanMarmot » September 9th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Today's adventure was aimed at the last of the bumps along Indian Heaven's spine - unfound Pt 5345 - just N pf Tr 108 and E of the PCT - plus some XC exploration. From the Placid Lk TH, I walked up Rd 460 to the first meaningful fork to the E and then followed that into the forest. It ended after about 300 yds and I kept on XC toward the PCT. Crossing the PCT, I went directly up to Pt 5345's N ridge and the first view of the day - Mt. Rainier in the distance and Sawtooth Mtn in the foreground,

and Adams.

The E side of the ridge is bare rock in spots, with two "caves" - more comfy than a vision pit - that look directly out toward Adams.

Coming S off the ridge, I took Tr 108 toward Cultus Ck CG, with a view back toward Pt 5345,

past a lot of vegetation still wet from the morning's dew,

to a junction with Tr 33 for the hike back to the PCT.

I took the PCT and then the Elk Lk trail (176) past Bear Lk,

to its end at Elk Lk. Then I went XC to intersect with the use trail that links Tr 29A at Chenamus Lk to the PCT at Junction Lk.

From there it was an easy hike past Chenamus Lk

back to the TH. Along the way I noticed a rustling in the undergrowth and came up with this very small (0.5") and very squirmy toad {no toads were harmed in the making of this picture}.

While it's mostly past flower season - there were a few blooms making a last desperate bid for pollination - we were clearly well into mushroom reason. So much time was spent wallowing at ground level photographing these amazingly- and subtly-colored fungal confections.

There were lots of cars at the TH and CG but I saw only about 6-8 folks actually on the trail. A great little hike (11.5 mi, 2100' EG) in perfect bluebird weather - this was Indian Heaven at its best! :D

bobcat

Re: The Last Point in (Indian) Heaven 08-Sep-2013

Post by bobcat » September 9th, 2013, 4:48 pm

As usual, a creative loop! Looks like you got pieces of the old Placid Lake Trail route and the abandoned part of the Chenamus Lake Trail. And yes, it's baby toad migration time in Indian Heaven!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » September 10th, 2013, 6:56 am

bobcat wrote:As usual, a creative loop! Looks like you got pieces of the old Placid Lake Trail route and the abandoned part of the Chenamus Lake Trail. And yes, it's baby toad migration time in Indian Heaven!
Thanks! What's the route of the "old" Placid Lk trail? I haven't been able to find much on maps going back to 1931.

miah66

Post by miah66 » September 12th, 2013, 11:45 am

Saw this guy on the trail in Indian Heaven last weekend.

I think he was some type of tree frog b/c he was a lighter color green and not many bumps like those small toads.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/9731 ... e6346d.jpg

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

romann

Post by romann » September 12th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Great pictures, and interesting loop idea. Reminds me I've not been to Indian Heaven for too long.

And yes, this is the time for mushrooms, and this year have been the best - those summer rains really helped :)
DSC_4709.JPG
(this is not in Indian Heaven)