Olallie Lake Scenic Area Loop 17-Aug-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Olallie Lake Scenic Area Loop 17-Aug-2013

Post by VanMarmot » August 18th, 2013, 4:31 pm

I lured the loved one away from working on the weekend with this short, but picturesque, loop hike near Olallie Lake. The drive down there from Portland seems longer and more tedious (particularly the unpaved part) than need be but, if you like lakes - all kinds in different sizes and shapes - this is a great hike. This is Trip #39 in Lorain's 100 Classic Hikes in Oregon. We started from the Lower Lake Campground TH and came to our first lake, Lower Lake, within a half mile (instant gratification!).

Amazingly clear water!

Then it was on past Middle Lake,

then Sheep Lake,

then assorted smaller lakes and water holes,

then on to the PCT and finally Cigar Lake.

The loved elected to linger by the lake while I went up Double Peaks for a view (the trail to the peaks is supposed to be unmarked but there was a sign "Trail 735" stuck right where it started off the PCT). From the rock pile on top, I had a stunning view of Jefferson to the S,

of Olallie Butte to the E (Olallie Butte TR 2011),

and of a cloud-spotted Mt. Hood to the N.

Then, after a quick lunch, it was back past Top Lake,

to Olallie Lake and another view of Jefferson,

and then back along the road a short ways to the Lower Lake TH. Other than the drive there, a very nice short (8.5 mi RT, 1200' EG) hike past nice lakes on easy trails. And absolutely no bugs!

Grannyhiker

Re: Olallie Lake Scenic Area Loop 17-Aug-2013

Post by Grannyhiker » August 18th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Bugs? Berries? I'm going up there next weekend; thanks for the preview!

A more scenic return is via the PCT from Cigar Lake to the Olallie Lake Lodge, which takes you along a clifftop with outstanding views of Jeff, Olallie Butte, Olallie Lake at your feet.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » August 18th, 2013, 5:40 pm

:) It certainly is beautiful. When I was the Olallie Lake Guard this Spring and early Summer, I was rewarded every weekend with the beauty and splendor of all those lakes, shadowed by the majestic
Mt. Jefferson. Glad you enjoyed yourself and nice pics!!!

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » August 19th, 2013, 7:25 am

I've been eyeing this one from Lorain's One Night Wilderness, Portland... looks like a good option with kids as long as bugs are down. Although, it might be hard to hike by so many lakes without getting asked to swim in all of them! :D Many thanks for the great report!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 19th, 2013, 7:29 am

Grannyhiker wrote:Bugs? Berries? I'm going up there next weekend; thanks for the preview!

A more scenic return is via the PCT from Cigar Lake to the Olallie Lake Lodge, which takes you along a clifftop with outstanding views of Jeff, Olallie Butte, Olallie Lake at your feet.
No bugs! There were a lot of berries along the trail up to Double Peaks. I would guess that it's a berry rich environment once you get away from the PCT.

I see what you're saying about the return via the PCT - next time!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 19th, 2013, 7:33 am

CampinCarl wrote:I've been eyeing this one from Lorain's One Night Wilderness, Portland... looks like a good option with kids as long as bugs are down. Although, it might be hard to hike by so many lakes without getting asked to swim in all of them! :D Many thanks for the great report!
We passed at least 3 families with various sized kids that were on backpacking in the area. Once you get to the TH, you can get to a nice campsite near a nice lake within 3 kid-friendly miles or less. And the bugs are down. I know this because the loved one didn't get a single bite!

awildman

Post by awildman » August 19th, 2013, 9:35 am

I like this area, especially in mid- to late-September. The falls colors are lovely and the elk come out singing each night, a haunting and beautiful song. Thanks for sharing!
Rambling on at Allison Outside