Waterfalls of the Columbia Gorge - book

Classifieds are for posting non-commercial offers of goods and services among forum members related to hiking, hiking gear and other directly related items of interest. All new topics require moderator approval.
chameleon

Waterfalls of the Columbia Gorge - book

Post by chameleon » August 7th, 2013, 9:34 pm

I'd like to let folks know that I'm making http://www.blurb.com/b/2964559-waterfal ... mbia-gorge available on print on demand. I've made the first half of the book available in preview mode. There may be a few hardcore gorge affecianados who'd enjoy checking it out. Thanks! :)

Peder

Re: Waterfalls of the Columbia Gorge - book

Post by Peder » August 7th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Zach - Great to hear from you! I checked out the preview about a year ago and it is a fascinating book! So I would strongly recommend for everybody to take a peak at this labor of love.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 8th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Thanks Peder! I appreciate the plug and encouragement. I'll never make a profit on this book, but it certainly was a labor of love!

Guy

Post by Guy » August 8th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Looks like a lovely book Zach,

Just curious did you ever consider taking it to a publisher rather than self printing?

I'm thinking of a local company like Timber Press that do lower volume printings of plant & natural history books.

Cheers.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

turtle

Post by turtle » August 8th, 2013, 3:17 pm

According to the Blurb link the price is $130.19. That's a whole lotta love! ;) :lol: :shock: :D
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 8th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Guy - I've kind of given up on finding a press for the book. Most publishers lose money on photo books, and certainly won't touch a 386 page 8 by 10 color book on such a small region like the gorge. I would love it if one would.

For now though I'm offering it on print on demand in the off chance that any one as crazy on the gorge as I am sees its value. :)

Turtle - sorry. I can't control the high price. Making books one at a time is expensive. I'm considering making it available as an e book, but that's not what I originally envisioned. However... Given that it is so pricey, but has a lot of photos of waterfalls previously unknown, maybe it will be of interest to a few serious northwest book collectors who like things few others have.

In any case, it was quite an experience putting it together :).

turtle

Post by turtle » August 8th, 2013, 5:07 pm

I just assumed the listed price was an error. I didn't read the description closely enough. No shot intended, hence the four smileys. After perusing the description for a few minutes it does indeed look like a lot of hard work and love involved.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

romann

Post by romann » August 10th, 2013, 8:56 pm

turtle wrote:According to the Blurb link the price is $130.19.
That's only about 1/2 to 1/3 of a price of regular university textbook, for a single class (or a price of very thin 100-150 page textbook). Not big for low-number, specialized edition.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 12th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Thanks Romann! That's a good perspective. :)

pablo

Post by pablo » August 13th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Zach,

I ran through the posted part of your work and I think it is very good but then I'm partial to things related to the Gorge. I like the way you use quotes, post cards and old photos to build the narrative and your eye for composition shows in the layout of each page. Of course the photos are great. I don't think for lots of color pages $130.00 is out of line - I may take the plunge...

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.