Cast/Paradise Park/Ramona Loop 28-Jul-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Cast/Paradise Park/Ramona Loop 28-Jul-2013

Post by VanMarmot » July 29th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Earlier this month, I hiked the Cast Creek trail (Cast Ck 07Jul13) and really enjoyed it. Looking closer at the map, it seemed possible to make a big loop by going up Cast, over ZigZag West, through Paradise Park, and returning via Ramona Falls. And so I set off Sunday to give it a try. Starting from near the Riley Horse Camp, the Cast Ck trail (773) climbs gently through the forest until it breaks into the open just before its junction with the ZigZag Mtn trail (775), with a big view of Hood

and Adams and Rainier.

Following the 775 E toward Hood, I came across four people starting a campfire just below the summit of Zig Zag West! Half the state is already on fire and these idiots are busy lighting another one! :shock: I don’t typically give people advice but starting a FIRE on a rocky, wind-swept ridge, with no water within a mile, and with tinder-dry forest on either side seemed to call for a few cogent remarks about STUPIDITY in action. They just seemed surprised that a fire might be a problem. Arrrrgh… :evil: Past the turn-off to Burnt Lake, the 775 is less used, brushier, but otherwise obvious.

After a pleasant wander through the woods, I reached the Paradise Park trail (778)

and took the Paradise Park Loop trail up for closer views of Hood,

of what little is left of the shelter,

the cloud deck lingering over Portland,

Jefferson,

and St. Helens.

Then one last look at the Big One,

before plunging down the PCT for what I feared might be a fateful crossing of the Sandy River. My fears proved baseless as the water was low, a few twigs had been fashioned in to a “bridge”,

and a small family was giving me a demonstration of crossing technique.

After that, my crossing was uneventful and dry,

and I was off downstream on the PCT. I didn’t think anyone needed yet another picture of Ramona Falls so I skipped that and concentrated on getting through the tourists heading for the Falls. A very good loop – long (20 mi, 4500’ EG) but on good trail – with big views. Also happy to report that Zig Zag West did not go up in flames! :)

retired jerry

Re: Cast/Paradise Park/Ramona Loop 28-Jul-2013

Post by retired jerry » July 29th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Nice!

I really like the Zigzag trail between Burnt Lake trail and Paradise Park trail - very few people, nice views

greglief

Post by greglief » July 29th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Thank you for the trip report. That is indeed a BIG loop!

How were the wildflowers in the meadows at Paradise Park?

Greg

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 30th, 2013, 5:23 am

greglief wrote:

How were the wildflowers in the meadows at Paradise Park?

Greg
A lot of greenery, mostly lupines flowering - not a lot of different colored flowers.

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » July 31st, 2013, 3:30 pm

Thanks VM, great TR, and now I know what hike I'm taking this weekend.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.