Cape Lookout 4/18: Trilliums Galore

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ErinL

Cape Lookout 4/18: Trilliums Galore

Post by ErinL » April 21st, 2009, 5:24 pm

I took advantage of the great weather this weekend to do an easy hike at Cape Lookout (just outside Tillamook). Two things I remember about this hike from my childhood are the muddy trail, and the fantastic viewpoint for whale watching. When I was a child, I once saw a cow and her calf resting in the water just below the cape rock I was leaning over. There were no whales that I could see over this weekend (other visitors hadn't had any luck either). However, the muddy trail is much the same.
CapeLookoutTrail2.jpg
One thing I hadn't expected was the explosion of trillium all along the trail. I stopped counting after fifty of them. Salmonberry, candyflower and others were adding their bright blooms to the forest scene.
Trillium2.jpg
The views towards Pacific City and the "other" Haystack Rock were superb.
PacificCity2.jpg
Other whale watchers commented that some of the migration should pick up in the next couple weeks. I fully recommend making the trek out to Cape Lookout to see the whales and the flowers.

Cheers!

pdxgene

Re: Cape Lookout 4/18: Trilliums Galore

Post by pdxgene » April 21st, 2009, 10:03 pm

I had to read that twice before I figured out you didn't mean a "moo" cow. I was trying to form a mental picture of how a cow could possibly get down there or why it would want to...

ErinL

Re: Cape Lookout 4/18: Trilliums Galore

Post by ErinL » April 22nd, 2009, 7:50 am

pdxgene wrote:I had to read that twice before I figured out you didn't mean a "moo" cow. I was trying to form a mental picture of how a cow could possibly get down there or why it would want to...
Haha! Well, it is near Tillamook...