South Sister Summit Sunrise Solitude, 5/6-July-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Re: South Sister Summit Sunrise Solitude, 5/6-July-2013

Post by kepPNW » July 9th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Thanks again, folks! I actually brought a spare camera, and three batteries along, this time. Wasn't gonna chance it all going to hell like it did last time we were up at MSH. I really did restrain myself posting into the thread, though. Honest. (Flickr link below.) Heh...
Steve20050 wrote:Thanks Karl and Peder, Those were some really great photos. I have never gotten to the top of the South Sister, but that view north along the line of the Cascade Crest from the 3 Sisters area is certainly one of my favorite views in Oregon. Thank you for taking time to post this stuff for us arm chair hikers to enjoy. You hit this one spot on with the clear skies and little haze, which seems to be harder to get as the years go by.
It'd be gratuitous to say, "our pleasure," I'm sure. Truly, though, you know it was. :)

This is probably as good a time as any to get up there. I bet with how dry it's been, the fires and gritty air will kick in before too much longer, and really spoil the views. Google Earth tells me it's 275 miles from Mt. Rainier to Crater Lake, and we could easily see both that morning!
Roy wrote:Nice report Karl great narrative and photos as usual. I always thought the summits down there were some of the most spectacular around with the red rock, blue green lakes and the four big peaks so close together.

I have some history on the South Sis.

<snip>

I am jealous of you two and your adventures I have clawed my way thru two years of issues and physical therapy but I think the South Sis,McLaughlin or MSH are in the cards this season. I did Defiance and Larch mt last month.
Agreed on the views! Probably the best in Oregon. Only thing in the PNW that I can see coming close would be up in the North Cascades, but there it'd be far less volcanic (which to me adds so much to the dynamics!).

I remember those pics from another thread. Peder asks the relevant question! ;) I tell ya, I hurt more - and for longer - after Defiance than either MSH or SS! You sound ready. :)
Born2BBrad wrote:Thanks for the pics from the top looking down that show the snow coverage. That helped me make a decision to do a backpacking trip to Green Lakes this weekend.

BTW Karl, if you keep putting such awesome TRs out there, people are going to expect it each time :lol:
Heh, I think Peder already assumes it's not even up for question, where that's gonna fall when we get back. I do have fun doing it, though. As well as going back and looking at them later.

There are more photos (no, I didn't post all of them!) on my Flickr Feed, if they might help. There were people camping all around down there (along our route), to be sure.
markesc wrote:Was the teardrop pool melted or starting to melt as of yet? Any winds? Sounds of falling rock? Cold beer/beer glaciers on the top??? :mrgreen:
Ouch! Just 20 minutes off? As it turned out, we were there nearly 90 minutes before sunrise, but "the show" started almost immediately.

Nope, the pool is totally frozen. It was actually hard to figure out where it oughta be, but I do think I did finally. We had a persistent wind, but it wasn't killer - maybe 10 or 15mph. I'm sure the windchill was below freezing, though. My legs were cold, with just one layer on, and exposed fingers got chilly pretty quick too! No falling rocks I can recall, or any sort of concessionaires, either, oddly enough. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » July 9th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Raddest TR of the summer so far. Classic PNW outdoor lifestyle.....
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 10th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Koda wrote:Raddest TR of the summer so far. Classic PNW outdoor lifestyle.....
Feedback doesn't get much better than that! Wow... :)
Karl

greglief

Post by greglief » July 10th, 2013, 8:31 pm

Thank you very much for the fantastic trip report! I was planning to return to South Sister this summer, but arriving for sunrise did not occur to me. Until now. :D

Greg

Koda

Post by Koda » July 10th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Kep and Peder, nice job. To elaborate a tiny bit on my compliment, its not just the excellent trip reporting journalism, the beautiful photos.... but the classic Pacific Northwest Experience of having a major mountaineering summit by sunrise and back in town for microbrews at lunch experience.

too many excellent photos to pick a favorite. Sunrise summit photos are the best, reminds me of my Rainier summit in 08.
I like this one...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 10th, 2013, 9:16 pm

awildman wrote:Just lovely! Thank you for sharing your incredible moment. My first climb up South Sister in 1998 was similar, though I started closer to 1AM and didn't quite make sunrise. But it was still spectacular and I was the only one there to enjoy it - except for a crow that was hanging around on top. Well done!
This comment stuck with me; sorry I didn't respond directly sooner! (I was sooooo wiped that by the time I got the TR up, I just tanked for the next 24+ hours.) We didn't have crows or ravens, but there were at least two little songbird sized ones that fluttered by a few times. Very odd to see them up there! First time I one whizzed by, Peder accused me of seeing things!

I trust that, like you, this was a trip that has burned lifelong memories. Words just lack.
greglief wrote:Thank you very much for the fantastic trip report! I was planning to return to South Sister this summer, but arriving for sunrise did not occur to me. Until now. :D
We owe it to Joe, Nat, Kam, and (another) Greg, ourselves. Absolutely killer idea. It was fun watching it all register in people's eyes, as they'd ask on our way down, and we'd tell them what we'd done.

It's totally doable, even without a moon. Especially if you have a track to stay generally on the trail. We also had a lock on the north start the whole way.
Koda wrote:Kep and Peder, nice job. To elaborate a tiny bit on my compliment, its not just the excellent trip reporting journalism, the beautiful photos.... but the classic Pacific Northwest Experience of having a major mountaineering summit by sunrise and back in town for microbrews at lunch experience.
Heh, yep, I don't think I included that in the details, but we were back on the road right about exactly noon! I took what you said very much as you elaborate. Really, where else, huh? :)

Thanks, guys...
Karl

MGuidroz

Post by MGuidroz » July 11th, 2013, 8:12 am

oh my goodness these pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I want to do this hike!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 11th, 2013, 8:31 pm

You two are amazing - such a fantastic TR and excellent photos and doing it all non-stop from the Portland area without a break. Thanks so much for this report, really an inspiration.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Peder

Post by Peder » July 11th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:You two are amazing - such a fantastic TR and excellent photos and doing it all non-stop from the Portland area without a break. Thanks so much for this report, really an inspiration.
Don, you are way too polite! You do the same and summit Mt Olympus the next day (or something along those lines)! We will refrain from discussing what you do to your camera... :?
BTW: Both TR and pictures are by Karl! He was very fast on the way up, as it was dark and he had his cameras (three including the phone) packed away! :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 12th, 2013, 5:21 am

MGuidroz wrote:oh my goodness these pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I want to do this hike!
Thanks! You should! :)
Peder wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:You two are amazing - such a fantastic TR and excellent photos and doing it all non-stop from the Portland area without a break. Thanks so much for this report, really an inspiration.
Don, you are way too polite! You do the same and summit Mt Olympus the next day (or something along those lines)!
You guys.... jeez. :) I'll agree Peder is amazing, in that he got us back home! I was just the fortunate sidekick in that story. Tried to help driving a bit, but was just way too far gone. So we stopped for some coffee, and I think I fell asleep for maybe 20 minutes while drinking it! Amazingly, that refreshed me enough to rejoin him for the rest of the trip, and still drive myself home from Sandy. Sure appreciate the thoughts, though, Don! :D
Peder wrote:Both TR and pictures are by Karl! He was very fast on the way up, as it was dark and he had his cameras (three including the phone) packed away! :D
Heheheheh... Yeah, I didn't lag my usual 1/8 to 1/2 mile behind shooting photos the whole way, this time, did I? :lol:
Karl