Crescent Mountain: beargrass! (07-07-2013)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
greglief

Crescent Mountain: beargrass! (07-07-2013)

Post by greglief » July 8th, 2013, 6:16 am

When I saw kelkev's 6/29 Coffin Mountain trip report, I wondered if conditions would be similar on nearby Crescent Mountain. I remembered seeing lots of beargrass during a 2008 visit, so I squeezed it into my schedule early Sunday morning.

En route I was surprised to see the Tombstone Pass parking area completely empty (it would be overflowing with Cone Peak/Iron Mountain visitors by early afternoon). I was less surprised to be the first car at the Crescent Mountain trailhead when I pulled in just after 8 am.

(NOTE: See nautachris' 6/16 TR for directions and additional trail photos.)

The first 1.3 miles is easy... basically flat down to tiny Maude Creek. Then the climbing begins, with two miles of switchbacks up through the forest. The traditional white flowers were blooming in the forested areas, most notably Bunchberry (Cornus pumila), Thimbleberry (Rubus parviflorus), Western White Anemone (Anemone deltoidea), Queen's Cup (Clintonia uniflora), and Western Starflower (Trientalis latifolia).

Just after the 3 mile mark, I entered the meadows and got my first peek at the Three Sisters.
first_view_of_three_sisters_from_the_trail.jpg
There was a copious amount of Scarlet Gilia (Ipomopsis aggregata), which is always fun to see.
scarlet_gilia.jpg
And then I saw the beargrass carpets ahead...
beargrass_1.jpg
More!
beargrass_2.jpg
MORE!
beargrass_3.jpg
No photographs can possibly convey how much beargrass was (and still is) in bloom. Plus, I had the place all to myself (I would not encounter another hiker until I was nearly back at the car). It was like my own personal beargrass playground!

Of course there were plenty of other wildflowers in bloom (full report @ OregonWildflowers.org), including Harsh Paintbrush (Castilleja miniata):
paintbrush.jpg
Subalpine mariposa lily (Calochortus subalpinus):
calochortus.jpg
Orange Agoseris (Agoseris aurantiaca):
orange_agoseris.jpg
But the beargrass held my attention:
more_beargrass_2.jpg
I had a wonderful south-facing view to Echo Mountain and the back side of Cone Peak:
echo_mountain_and_cone_peak.jpg
Eventually I managed to tear myself away from the meadow, and completed the last push up to the summit. The beargrass was present almost every step of the way, including several patches at the summit proper. From there I enjoyed views of the Cascade peaks, including Mount Jefferson:
mount_jefferson.jpg
Three Sisters again:
three_sisters.jpg
Three Fingered Jack:
three_fingered_jack.jpg
Mount Hood (with South Pyramid in the foreground, and Coffin & Bachelor Mountains in the mid-foreground):
view_north_from_summit.jpg
On my way back down, I took one more shot of the Three Sisters, with more beargrass in the foreground.
last_look_at_three_sisters.jpg
Greg
Last edited by greglief on July 8th, 2013, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

justpeachy

Re: Crescent Mountain: beargrass! (07-07-2013)

Post by justpeachy » July 8th, 2013, 6:20 am

Insert long impressed whistle here.

WOW. I think that may be a better beargrass display than we saw on Silver Star Mountain. I love it when a big beargrass meadow blooms so thickly and profusely like that. Wish it was like that every year!

kelkev

Post by kelkev » July 8th, 2013, 10:50 am

Gorgeous photos and impressive displays -- I think we both visited back in 2008 when it blooming similar to this year. I remember seeing it for the first time and realizing that in all my years of hiking the cascades, I'd never seen anything like it before. Looks like it's time to go back!

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

greglief

Post by greglief » July 8th, 2013, 3:55 pm

kelkev wrote:Gorgeous photos and impressive displays -- I think we both visited back in 2008 when it blooming similar to this year. I remember seeing it for the first time and realizing that in all my years of hiking the cascades, I'd never seen anything like it before. Looks like it's time to go back!
Hi Kevin,

First, thank you again for the Coffin Mountain trip report. To reiterate, that was the spark that inspired me to squeeze in this trip. As to your return, I think that the beargrass display should be in fine form for at least another week, and perhaps two. I hope that you can make it!

Greg

fettster

Post by fettster » July 8th, 2013, 9:56 pm

greglief wrote: No photographs can possibly convey how much beargrass was (and still is) in bloom. Plus, I had the place all to myself (I would not encounter another hiker until I was nearly back at the car). It was like my own personal beargrass playground!
Love those kind of days. Those make for special memories over the years. The beargrass is so thick it almost looks like poofs of snow. Great share. It would be fun to camp in the area and knock out many of the area hikes over a few days. :)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 8th, 2013, 9:58 pm

Beautiful, Greg! Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 15th, 2013, 9:29 am

greglief: Thank you for putting this post together. It motivated me to do this hike a 2nd time (the first time being 15 years ago in the drizzle with absolutely no view beyond 50 feet). This blue sky hike was like hiking a new trail, it was much better than I had remembered. The view from the top was grand.

On the flowers, much of the beargrass is beginning to show its age (Sat. July 13th), but the Cascade lilies are coming on. In the first 100 years we saw about three dozen candy stripes (heath flower) in clusters here and there. That was a treat from the beginning. There were 30 or so other flower varities which I won't mention here.

Definately a hike to do when the skies are clear, and just do Opal Creek if it's a viewless day to avoid the extra driving.

greglief

Post by greglief » July 15th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Thanks, Tom!

BigBear: Thank you for the wildflower update. The Cascade lilies had not yet opened up when I visited, nor did I see any Candy Stick (Allotropa virgata). Both of those are beautiful, so I am glad that you got to see them.

Greg