Mt Adams Cascade Creek fire impacts

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Mt Adams Cascade Creek fire impacts

Post by drm » July 3rd, 2013, 6:24 am

I've done a couple of trips into the Mt Adams Wilderness to see how it was affected. So far I've just been into the fringes of the burn zone, where the fire intensity was not so high. But I'll get around to other areas. A couple of pages I have are http://www.deanmyerson.org/after-the-fire-lake-5387 and http://www.deanmyerson.org/after-the-fire-salt-creek, but here are some photos from them.

Low intensity fire in the lower Cascade Creek drainage. You can see that the low end of the trees are seared, but they live on and have green foliage above. Despite being named after this creek, the fire started well to the south. Burned trees on the ground were presumably already there.

Snowmelt from the recent heat wave combined, presumably, with fire debris, makes the water in Salt Creek rather uninviting on a hot day. It had cleared up quite a bit by morning.

A great example of what I assume is a spot burn where an ember comes down from above but the fire does not spread. Note how the small tree on the left is seared on the side closer to the fire only.

What I call fire tongues result when strong winds push a fire in a linear way, not giving it time to spread. This is more common in the northern extent of the fire area. This is near lake 5387.

payslee

Re: Mt Adams Cascade Creek fire impacts

Post by payslee » July 3rd, 2013, 6:34 am

Thanks Dean!

I've been itching to get back up to Adams - that may just be where I end up this weekend.

After spending some time last summer where the dollar lake fire burned, it's really great to see that so many of the trees on Adams were able to survive.

-payslee

xrp

Post by xrp » July 3rd, 2013, 7:43 pm

Mosquitoes?

drm

Post by drm » July 4th, 2013, 7:39 am

xrp wrote:Mosquitoes?
Moderate at the 3000 foot level. Worst in the cool morning (during the recent heat wave) and none when it was hotter in the afternoon.

Doesn't say anything about what they are like higher up, which I will find out this coming weekend.