Romancing the Cone in the Big Lava Bed 28-Jun-2013

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
cfm

Re: Romancing the Cone in the Big Lava Bed 28-Jun-2013

Post by cfm » June 30th, 2013, 11:55 pm

I recall the crater as being a beautiful meadow of soft grass:

Another nearby crater that is like this one with a soft grassy center, but much easier to get to is the Bare Mountain Crater located a short distance up the road from the Soda Lakes Trailhead.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 1st, 2013, 5:45 am

cfm wrote:I recall the crater as being a beautiful meadow of soft grass:

Another nearby crater that is like this one with a soft grassy center, but much easier to get to is the Bare Mountain Crater located a short distance up the road from the Soda Lakes Trailhead.
Hmmmm, now I'm thinking I must not have made it to the center when I was there - obviously from your picture. Must have wallowed around in all those little trees, gave up, and never saw it! OH crap, now I HAVE to go back! :o

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 1st, 2013, 5:54 am

Yeah, GE shows the little meadow, too...
capture.jpg
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 1st, 2013, 6:15 pm

kepPNW wrote:Yeah, GE shows the little meadow, too...
capture.jpg
Karl,

Thanks for posting that pic. Wow! I see now why I didn't find the actual crater. It looks like there is a cone within a bigger cone. Dumb ol' me! Oh, well, have to go back and I can always use a few more miles/hikes/adventures.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 1st, 2013, 6:42 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Thanks for posting that pic. Wow! I see now why I didn't find the actual crater. It looks like there is a cone within a bigger cone. Dumb ol' me! Oh, well, have to go back and I can always use a few more miles/hikes/adventures.
Sorry? ;) That is great lighting on the cone, isn't it! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 1st, 2013, 6:45 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:Thanks for posting that pic. Wow! I see now why I didn't find the actual crater. It looks like there is a cone within a bigger cone. Dumb ol' me! Oh, well, have to go back and I can always use a few more miles/hikes/adventures.
Sorry? ;) That is great lighting on the cone, isn't it! :)
Yeah, that is interesting lighting - must be the shadow of the mothership :shock:

So, when do you want to go?

dn

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » July 1st, 2013, 7:37 pm

Can't believe that there were 2 of us on that pile of lava on the same day!! I would fallen off my lava block if I had seen another human out there! I started just a bit farther E than you did. Not sure of your time frame, but I found a series of orange flags on the crater rim of all places! (they're not there anymore ;) hopefully I got to them before you did). Really glad I did it, but don't think I will be going back there anytime soon......... By the way, did you find the bench mark? My GPS put it down the crater wall aways, even though the maps show it on the W rim.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 2nd, 2013, 7:06 am

K.Wagner wrote:Can't believe that there were 2 of us on that pile of lava on the same day!! I would fallen off my lava block if I had seen another human out there! I started just a bit farther E than you did. Not sure of your time frame, but I found a series of orange flags on the crater rim of all places! (they're not there anymore ;) hopefully I got to them before you did). Really glad I did it, but don't think I will be going back there anytime soon......... By the way, did you find the bench mark? My GPS put it down the crater wall aways, even though the maps show it on the W rim.
If I'd seen another person out there, I'd have freaked. :shock: You must have gotten most of the flagging but there was still some around where I started into the lava and also up around the crater rim - it's not there now. I didn't find the benchmark - thought it should be on the rim somewhere but my GPS (like yours) kept pointing down into the crater. I might got back toward Fall to see the crater meadow, but it's not an urgent desire.