Beargrassy Knoll - aka Grassy Knoll 6-23-13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Waffle Stomper

Beargrassy Knoll - aka Grassy Knoll 6-23-13

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 23rd, 2013, 8:21 am

It was a wonderful day to go to Grassy Knoll and beyond to Grassy Pass. The road had it's usual pot holes but with careful pothole avoidance it wasn't too bad. Just be careful not to miss them in the dappled shadows. they seem to come in clusters. We saw quite a bit of bear poop on the road and again along the trail on Grassy Pass. Where we stopped for lunch there was a fresh still moist deposit. We didn't see any bear, not that we were hoping for an encounter, but it would have been nice to see some in a ravine or along the road.

No bears, but the Bear Grass was incredible along the trail to Grassy Knoll. This trail is in one the plant's 5-7 year bloom cycle. There were other flowers as well but most were well past their prime and we missed the time when the area is in full bloom. There were wild onions (their fragrance floated on the humid air), penstemon, larkspur, paintbrush and more.

Here's a few shots of the bear grass that I caught with my point and shoot.
Bear Grass 1 web.jpg
Mt. Adams in the background.
Bear Grass 2 web.jpg
Bear Grass 3 web.jpg
Bear Grass 4 web.jpg
Bear Grass 5 web.jpg
Finally a little bit of Balsamroot.
Balsam.jpg
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Roy

Re: Beargrassy Knoll - aka Grassy Knoll 6-23-13

Post by Roy » June 24th, 2013, 6:11 pm

I have never been there but have herd of it for a long time, Saturday was a great day.

Thanks for sharing -- Tom
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 24th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Thanks, Waffle -- I love your pup's head poking into the corner of that last pic..! :D

-Tom :)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 24th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Roy wrote:I have never been there but have herd of it for a long time, Saturday was a great day.

Thanks for sharing -- Tom
It was a fine day indeed.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 24th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Splintercat wrote:Thanks, Waffle -- I love your pup's head poking into the corner of that last pic..! :D

-Tom :)
I wish she was mine, she is my "niece" belonging to a friend of mine. Just learning the ways of the trail.