Collawash Waterfall wanderings

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
BrianEdwards

Collawash Waterfall wanderings

Post by BrianEdwards » June 16th, 2013, 9:18 am

Crossposting this, but yesterday I headed up the Table Rock Fork of the Molalla on 7010 and crossed over into the Collawash drainage. In the Molalla drainage, I stopped to hike a mile up lost creek on a scenic old road to investigate a spot on the aerial image.

Had a view of Table Rock behind me:

Wash Creek Butte ahead loomed large. There was alot of old growth in the Lost Creek canyon.

Once I reached the spot on my iPhone GPS, I found the spot... Much smaller then hoped for. But atleast now I know

Next headed back down to the car. Lost Creek Canyon was very scenic. Once at the car, I headed over the divide hoping to not encounter a fallen tree or slide.

Got a view of Jefferson:

I did encounter several slides that had been made passable

I reached the 160 Spur up Stroupe Creek and started driving up it. Very seldomly used road.

Encountered a big tree across the road and had to park. Turned out I could hear the rumored waterfall right from where I parked.

As I headed down the hill to the falls, I stumbled upon a segment of the historic South Fork Mountain trail that used to run from near Estacada to Bagby Hot Springs. This trail used to be the primary access to this once vast wilderness.

The falls were once again small, maybe 12 ft.. Still nice being out in the woods.

One thing about chasing rumored waterfalls is they can turn out to be small.

Back on the trail grade, I cleared it some, and took a pano of the trail and falls. Obviously this used to be a sight along the trail. Cool

Next stop was Hugh Creek, struck out again. Stumbled onto this old trail grade leading out of the creek gulley and up around the hill. Too defined to be an elk trail

Now around the corner to Nohorn Creek that had a waterfall that the legend Pete Giordano found a while back.

Wasn't hard to find, and was very neat. Highlight of the day. Had to cross the creek above the falls, and hike downstream to a gulley to access the base.

Nohorn Creek Falls, 13 ft tall

Big cave behind it

Front view

Very scenic little spot tucked away up on Nohorn Creek. Last stop was Elk Lake Creek a ways away to see a waterfall 1/4 mile up the trail.

Along the way, I knew I'd be able to see Schreiner Peak, Clackamas County's highest unshared peak. It ended up being burnt a bit

Once at Elk Lake Creek, I headed out on the trail. In a little bit, I was walking through a burned forest. Still smelled burnt. It did allow views down to very scenic Elk Lake Creek.

In no time I was at the waterfall. I'd say 20 ft when combined with the cascade above.

Elk Lake Creek has the same deep green pools as Opal Creek.

Once back at the car, I went a short ways and drove to the mystery bridge posted here before

More

Looking downstream

Fun day out, 144 miles on the car and lots of scenic stops. Thanks for looking
Last edited by BrianEdwards on June 19th, 2013, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Peder

Re: Collawash Waterfall wanderings

Post by Peder » June 16th, 2013, 11:02 am

One thing about chasing rumored waterfalls is they can turn out to be small.
Brian - At least you found the waterfalls, so you will not have to go back! Chasing a "rumored" waterfall that does not exist can take many days! :shock:

I liked seeing your pictures of Schreiner Peak and Table Rock, those a new views to me! So much exploring to do!

Thank you for an interesting exploration report.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Koda

Post by Koda » June 16th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Nohorn creek falls is a gem.
Loved this report Brian....
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 16th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Thanks guys

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 16th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Headed back up the Clackamas today for father's day. I've been trying to make time to swing up to Hideaway Lake and check out the falls on the outlet creek that Splintercat informed me of. Today was the day.

First stop was Marquam Inn for lunch, then a quick jog over to Scott's Mills. I'd never actually stopped and checked out the town's waterfall. It was better then I expected. I messed around with the Slow Shutter App on the iphone 5 today.

HD Video

Then we made our way to the Clackamas and headed for Hideaway Creek Falls. I forgot the FR57 was closed, so we had to detour on 4630 past Harriet Lake. Along the way I was pleased to stumble onto Lynn Falls, I'd totally forgotten about this waterfall right off the road!

My wife for scale

Close Up

Video

After this we headed to Hideway Creek Falls. Upon arriving the Shellrock Lake Trail head, I could immediately hear the falls. On the right there is a very steep scramble trail that leads to the base of the falls and series of cascades. The best shot is on the other side, but it looks steep over there.

Hideaway Creek Falls with slow shutter app

Video

Another great day up the Clackamas, thanks for looking.
Last edited by BrianEdwards on June 19th, 2013, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 16th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Nice, Brian - you've been busy! Glad you got up to Hideaway Creek Falls... one of those pint-sized beauties that is quite photogenic -- as is Nohorn Falls! Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 16th, 2013, 11:08 pm

Thanks, Tom. Hideaway lived up to its name and beauty.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » June 18th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Very cool Brian! :D Glad that you got some time to get out and chase down some waterfalls. I loved the cave behind Nohorn Creek Falls, nice feature for a small waterfall. I'm really impressed with your Iphone pictures...makes me wish I bought one for myself instead of for my son. :lol: Lots of great pictures, Table Rock, Wash Creek Butte and I really liked the pano of the old trail and Stroupe Creek Falls. I love finding old forgotten trails. :) Very cool that you got your wife out to see some falls with you. After the trek to Lynn Falls I bet she is ready for Upper Whale Creek Falls or Oscar Creek Falls. :lol: :P Thanks for sharing your trips Brian. :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 19th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Thanks Tim! Ya the falls up the Collawash are proving small, but still fun to get out and go exploring. Funny you mention Oscar and Upper Whale. I see you're waiting on a report of those :) Both look quite large and very hard to reach. Oscar will be a winter trip when the tenacious brush of the South Fork is dormant

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » June 19th, 2013, 7:41 pm

Wow, Nohorn Creek Falls looks amazing. Your pictures are awesome, Brian. That opening pic of Table Rock makes it look very tempting!