Announcing Off the Beaten Trail: 50 fantastic unknown hikes

Classifieds are for posting non-commercial offers of goods and services among forum members related to hiking, hiking gear and other directly related items of interest. All new topics require moderator approval.
MarsIsCobra

Re: Announcing Off the Beaten Trail: 50 fantastic unknown hi

Post by MarsIsCobra » May 20th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Nice to meet you yesterday. Just bought the book from your site.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » June 10th, 2013, 7:15 pm

I want to thank everybody who has ordered the book so far - you rock!

I also wanted to post a few updates, culled from reader emails / comments and this site:
---------------------------
*Valley of the Giants (Hike #6): Turn right at the second fork in Valsetz, not the first. It is not obvious that Valsetz used to be a town, so keep an eye out more for a large flat area about 15 miles from Falls City. Be aware that this is a 3-hour drive from Portland.
* Cave Falls (Hike #12): Trail is currently closed because a fallen tree destroyed the observation deck at Big Creek Falls.
* Lookingglass Lake (Hike #15): The south side of the Mount Adams Wilderness has been re-opened following damage from last year’s fire. The Shorthorn Trail has not been cleared yet, so you should expect lots of downed trees and scenery different than what I described in my book. I have not been up there yet to survey the damage – when I get there I’ll write a full report and post it here.
* Rock of Ages Ridge (Hike #16): My distances are slightly off – the full loop is 10.7 miles with 3,470 feet of elevation gain. It’s not a big difference but worth noting just the same. Keep in mind also that this is an alternative route to Wauneka Point (Hike #17).
* Thunder Mountain (Hike #39): There is currently a landslide blocking the road approximately 0.5 mile from the trailhead. It is still possible to park at the slide and hike to the trailhead. The first bit of trail is very brushed in at the moment, but is flagged reasonably well. Plow through the brushy stretch and you’ll find a nice trail!
Last edited by mattisnotfrench on June 10th, 2013, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 10th, 2013, 7:27 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:* Swale Canyon (Hike #23): Hike is 12 miles long, not 10. The end destination is 6 miles from the trailhead. Of course, this trail is not open during the summer due to fire danger, anyway.
What's the destination? I thought the trail was about 12-miles one-way. I know I went nearly 10 before turning around.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » June 10th, 2013, 8:06 pm

kepPNW wrote:
mattisnotfrench wrote:* Swale Canyon (Hike #23): Hike is 12 miles long, not 10. The end destination is 6 miles from the trailhead. Of course, this trail is not open during the summer due to fire danger, anyway.
What's the destination? I thought the trail was about 12-miles one-way. I know I went nearly 10 before turning around.
Edit - I was thinking of the wrong place. The really isn't a destination here - the whole canyon is beautiful, and you should turn around where you feel like doing so (if you feel like doing so).
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » December 29th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Matt, I just received a copy of your book as a xmas gift from relatives that know me well! Excellent book and I really look forward to checking out many of this destinations. I've only been to 15 out of 50 of the places listed so there is much to be done. Thanks for making these places a little more known and thanks for putting in all the sweat equity!

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » November 28th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Since it's Black Friday I thought I would take the time to announce that I'm having a sale of my book, Off the Beaten Trail. For one week only, I will be selling books for $12 plus shipping. You won't find it for a lower price anywhere, and when you buy it through me, you help support the writing of future guidebooks!

To buy the book, you can visit my website: http://www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com/

I've also spent quite a bit of time working on an update to my book, complete with 2 new hikes! You can download the update pamphlet here, free of charge: http://www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com/wp- ... -later.pdf

Thanks for reading. :)