5.4.13 Land of the Mayhem Lost ...Without my Amigos :)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mayhem

5.4.13 Land of the Mayhem Lost ...Without my Amigos :)

Post by mayhem » May 5th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Silver Star Not Today

Silver Star Not ! Movie

Lost!! & only the 3rd time today, so, I'm doing ok...for me anyway.

Fail for something ? Or successful for something Else? Hmmmm where is the snaggled up Root Ball trail??

Found Snaggled up TH :)

Hiking up the road & exiting the trees it got warm really fast. At the first little patch of snow I put a snow ball on my head & under my cap.. Wow that feels great. I did this several times & never got hot again.

I was looking up at the pits & Whoooohooing to what I thought was my 3 Amigos , Cobra, Kep & EP.

Then I noticed someone on the trail coming towards me..Hey!! it is friendly & helpful Rob :) Bammm!

Nice views

I'm coming down the pits & I'm pretty sure I see my amigos...I'm not 100% sure though..after the fact I find out yes it is :)

I exited the pits & took a direct path to where I thought the Amigos were, but I lost their track. I went on a trail that is on the west side until it was into deep snow. I did not see any fresh tracks, so, I paced back and forth on the side of the mountain looking for a track. I could not find one. For a minute I thought I heard some Whooohooing. I then decided it was probably in my own head wanting to hear something familiar :)
Trail I just missed by that much
I turned tail & headed back from where I came...some land of the lost snaggled up TH!
Parting Pano Shot

On the return I was shuffling down the Eagle Crix sore foot style trail when someone got my attention going up the trail, stopping & giving me & Extra Eide Birth?? I slowed down & said hey it's all good ! Her reply is your Mayhem right? It's Happy Friendly Payslee :). She gave a good bump fist & Bamm! I was on my way to somewhere??

Hmmm why am I shuffling so fast? No idea? I slowed down took a few pics.

I ran into another hiker coming up & we both gave take care & have a good day words.
Hey I made it back to the Snaggled up Root Ball Trail Head :)...wait I got lost multiple times & just remembered I did not have a DP. I forgot about this because I was supposed to be in the car pool!! Dang it...but hey! Great No ticket.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

MarsIsCobra

Re: 5.4.13 Land of the Mayhem Lost ...Without my Amigos :)

Post by MarsIsCobra » May 5th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Hey Mayhem, can I crash your trip report?

Make sure you watch it in 720p (or now 1080p!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46duTY4xBm0

Crusak

Post by Crusak » May 5th, 2013, 2:44 pm

So you were gonna meet up with those guys, but got turned around? That's one of the things keeping me from trying to drive solo to Silver Star - the driving directions sound a bit confusing.

You got to meet Payslee! Very cool.

Did the three amigos say they heard your woo-hoos?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 5th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Crusak wrote:So you were gonna meet up with those guys, but got turned around? That's one of the things keeping me from trying to drive solo to Silver Star - the driving directions sound a bit confusing.

You got to meet Payslee! Very cool.

Did the three amigos say they heard your woo-hoos?
Well to be honest...I only had to get to a parking lot in Pendelton near the silverstar area for a car shuttle. Now that I have been there I have no idea how one could even begin to get lost, at least for the parking lot. Now Silver Star yes! I'm sure I could get lost on the logging roads again.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 5th, 2013, 3:17 pm

MarsIsCobra wrote:Hey Mayhem, can I crash your trip report?
Cobra! No need to ask you can crash all you want :) Bammm!

Roy

Post by Roy » May 5th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Trying to figure out where you left from from? I almost went there this am but my truck had a mind of its own and I went north.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 5th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Roy wrote:Trying to figure out where [mayhem] left from from? I almost went there this am but my truck had a mind of its own and I went north.
Man, me too! I know you were at the same trailhead as us, at one point, because of the evidence left behind. But I don't recognize the snaggled-up photos from there, either. You must've started at the same place my jeep was, though, eh?

Roy, the rest of us took "The VanMarmot Route" up the south ridge. Link provided, because there are so many of them! ;)

Map to follow, promise.
MarsIsCobra wrote:we missed ya mayhem.
Wow, what Mars said. Especially after we realized just how close we came to... , well how close you came to catching up!
Our first clue. :cry:
mayhem wrote:I exited the pits & took a direct path to where I thought the Amigos were, but I lost their track. I went on a trail that is on the west side until it was into deep snow. I did not see any fresh tracks, so, I paced back and forth on the side of the mountain looking for a track. I could not find one. For a minute I thought I heard some Whooohooing. I then decided it was probably in my own head wanting to hear something familiar :)
Trail I just missed by that much
Dude! Wow... We actually started up that trail, but our shins were already pretty whipped from all the brushwhacking they'd been doing, and decided to "take the real trail" off into the woods where we could hook up with the main summit approach. Then, after fighting our way through 8-10' of snow in the woods for a while, it was one of those collective "F'IT!" moments, and we just headed straight uphill again, and popped out right back on that very same trail! Check it out:
I would bet actual real money that if you had followed that trail up there, our bumbling around in the forest would've slowed us up just exactly the right amount of time so that we would've actually met right before the darned summit!!! Unbelievable...
Crusak wrote:Did the three amigos say they heard your woo-hoos?
I think that with the wind howling like it was yesterday, no whooohoo (especially ours) would've carried more than a 1/8 mile? Mayhem's might've gone 1/4 mile, if the wind was with him.
mayhem wrote:Hiking up the road & exiting the trees it got warm really fast. At the first little patch of snow I put a snow ball on my head & under my cap.. Wow that feels great. I did this several times & never got hot again.
Gotta give that a try! :)
mayhem wrote:Silver Star Not ! Movie
:(

But then,... :D

You do find a way to make the most of anything!

Total bonus, bumping into Payslee! We didn't enjoy that pleasure, this fine day. I imagine we were doing the wraparound the next ridge over, at that point. My PH button did attract one notice, though. But I'm horrible with names, so EP will need to report that.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(Pyramid Rock! It'll make more sense when I post a map! :D)
Crusak wrote:So you were gonna meet up with those guys, but got turned around? That's one of the things keeping me from trying to drive solo to Silver Star - the driving directions sound a bit confusing.
That's why we planned to meet and caravan/carpool from the Pendleton Outlet right next to SR-14. :)

Really, it's not that bad. Just plugging the trailhead coordinates into a regular car GPS gets you right there. Definitely sounds worse than it is. (Which reminds me, the "sign missing" VM reported in another thread seems to have been replaced!)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 5th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Make sure you watch it in 720p (or now 1080p!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46duTY4xBm0
Just watched the Wrap Around! Seems as though I missed a good time, Thanks Cobra.
I did make do with my lost self :)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 5th, 2013, 5:31 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Roy wrote:Trying to figure out where [mayhem] left from from? I almost went there this am but my truck had a mind of its own and I went north.
Man, me too! I know you were at the same trailhead as us, at one point, because of the evidence left behind. But I don't recognize the snaggled-up photos from there, either. You must've started at the same place my jeep was, though, eh?

Roy, the rest of us took "The VanMarmot Route" up the south ridge. Link provided, because there are so many of them! ;)

Map to follow, promise.
MarsIsCobra wrote:we missed ya mayhem.
Wow, what Mars said. Especially after we realized just how close we came to... , well how close you came to catching up!
Our first clue. :cry: