Labyrinth to Catherine Creek to Coyote Wall , 21-Apr-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
airoff

Re: Labyrinth to Catherine Creek to Coyote Wall , 21-Apr-201

Post by airoff » April 25th, 2013, 11:50 am

Karl & Jim, I've circled in red where the ponds are located. They aren't anything special, but often times you can hear what sound like thousands of frogs as you approach them. And it's always interesting to poke in that area.
13669191742940.jpg

kepPNW

Re: Labyrinth to Catherine Creek to Coyote Wall , 21-Apr-201

Post by kepPNW » April 25th, 2013, 11:58 am

vibramhead wrote:Anyway, when I did my hike, I came up Coyote Wall and then followed Atwood Rd east, until I encountered the first "private property" sign. There happened to be a utility worker driving by, and he told me he thought it was fine to hike there, because he sees lots of hikers doing so. So, I continued down until I reached the second "private property" sign, which gave me sufficient qualms that I decided to turn around and retrace my steps.
Took a look at both our tracks in Google Earth, and am getting a much better picture of where we diverged. Here ya go:

Mine in red, yours in yellow. (Right-click, "View Image", for full resolution.)

And here are some key photos along the way, which correspond to the camera markers on the red trail. We really had no idea that that little segment were #1626 (just a flower) is was private.

vibramhead wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Not sure it adds much to the hike to be up in that "disputed" area. Probably more scenic to just stay below it?
Yep, there weren't really many scenic views along that stretch of Atwood.
Agreed.

airoff wrote:Karl & Jim, I've circled in red where the ponds are located. They aren't anything special, but often times you can hear what sound like thousands of frogs as you approach them. And it's always interesting to poke in that area.
Ah, sure, I can see them in Google Earth now. Yeah, pretty sure neither of was aware of them, that day. It was just past solar noon, so the frogs were probably taking a siesta. :)

Thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...