Labyrinth to Catherine Creek to Coyote Wall , 21-Apr-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Re: Labyrinth to Catherine Creek to Coyote Wall , 21-Apr-201

Post by kepPNW » April 24th, 2013, 6:09 pm

mayhem wrote:Nice!! I cannot wait to see the video! The pictures make it seem all calm and nice :)
I learned a lot with this one. Foremost, take more video close-ups of things! Jeeez, it's like the footage is all focused on me. Ah well, it does contrast the wind with the stills. Here we go...

See if I get banned for this! :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

airoff

Post by airoff » April 24th, 2013, 7:08 pm

Wow, what an awesome report and video! Did you skirt above that dude's vineyard and pass by the ponds to get to the top of Coyote Wall?

I made a much shorter loop starting from the Labyrinth a couple weeks back. Just past the 'Indian Pits' is a short connector trial up to Rowland Ridge, which I found to be nearly as spectacular as Coyote Wall. And there seem to be more rock pits up along the ridge.

Thanks for the report!

Peder

Post by Peder » April 24th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Great video! Karl, you need to put some rocks in your pockets, so that you do not blow away. Jim, you need to tie your hat on with a strap under your chin, or it will blow away!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm

airoff wrote:Wow, what an awesome report and video! Did you skirt above that dude's vineyard and pass by the ponds to get to the top of Coyote Wall?
Thanks! Yeah, we did pass by a vineyard, way up there. I don't recall any ponds though. (Jim?)
airoff wrote:I made a much shorter loop starting from the Labyrinth a couple weeks back. Just past the 'Indian Pits' is a short connector trial up to Rowland Ridge, which I found to be nearly as spectacular as Coyote Wall. And there seem to be more rock pits up along the ridge.
I have a feeling I'll be back, and probably be offsetting most of that loop in one direction or another, next time. Seemed to be a lot of very cool options there! :)
Peder wrote:Great video! Karl, you need to put some rocks in your pockets, so that you do not blow away. Jim, you need to tie your hat on with a strap under your chin, or it will blow away!
Thanks! I was literally blown off the trail a couple times, which is when I switched back to using poles in both hands! And Jim did tie his chin strap down tight, too, but nearly for naught. I gave up, like on Slacker, and just attached mine to my straps. :)
Karl

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 24th, 2013, 10:34 pm

I don't recall seeing any ponds. That would be something to look for on a return trip.

Good suggestion, Peder! :) I had my chin strap securely in place, but the wind was so strong I was thinking it would blow the hat off my head anyway!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » April 25th, 2013, 12:06 am

...and we saw these reddish pink things....called Red Flowering Currant that is considered an early bloomer and native to the north west coast. Significance to me.. Spring has Sprung!
Attachments
Columbia Gorge_ Red Flowering Currant 004.jpg

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 25th, 2013, 5:07 am

Steve20050 wrote:called Red Flowering Currant that is considered an early bloomer and native to the north west coast. Significance to me.. Spring has Sprung!
That's what Jim was guessing they were! Not sure I'm all that familiar with them. But I do like what they signal. :) Thanks!
Karl

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » April 25th, 2013, 10:14 am

Karl:

Great TR, and I'm glad to see that my gps track served as an inspiration to someone. Regarding those Burns Farm private property signs, I'm wondering whether there's a dispute between the landowners and Forest Service regarding public access along Atwood Road. The Forest Service's management plan, at p. 14, indicates that Atwood Road is a county road, including the stretch that crosses private land. Anyway, when I did my hike, I came up Coyote Wall and then followed Atwood Rd east, until I encountered the first "private property" sign. There happened to be a utility worker driving by, and he told me he thought it was fine to hike there, because he sees lots of hikers doing so. So, I continued down until I reached the second "private property" sign, which gave me sufficient qualms that I decided to turn around and retrace my steps.

If anyone can clear up what the public access rights are along this route, I'd be grateful.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 25th, 2013, 10:26 am

Hey, many thanks for posting that, there, yeah! It provided an excellent way to explore an area we were both fairly unfamiliar with.

We did go the other way around the loop, so we didn't encounter those prominent Private Property signs until we were ostensibly leaving it. When we got to that little one, there was a trail leading off to the right that wasn't marked. We took that. It lead to the bigger, more road-like, "trail", and ultimately a nice sign for their farm. I guess, in retrospect, it did seem more like a driveway than a road. Didn't notice it led to more than the one (Burns) property.
Last edited by kepPNW on April 25th, 2013, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » April 25th, 2013, 11:49 am

kepPNW wrote:Not sure it adds much to the hike to be up in that "disputed" area. Probably more scenic to just stay below it?
Yep, there weren't really many scenic views along that stretch of Atwood.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.