Coast range waterfall trip 4/13/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Rustygoat

Coast range waterfall trip 4/13/13

Post by Rustygoat » April 14th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Off to the coast today...not to see the shops or the beach, but instead to see waterfalls. Our first stop as Drift Creek Falls east of Lincoln City. Our last trip here was a couple of years ago, shortly after the big landslide that altered the waterfall. It looks totally different than what it used to but still worth the hike. Drift Creek Falls.
IMG_9382.JPG
The trail is very nice and very welcome after all of our recent bushwhacking adventures.
IMG_9409.JPG
IMG_9552.JPG
After Drift Creek we headed up the coast to hike the Heart Cove trail but it was closed until 7/15...we'll have to come back after the birds are done nesting. :)
We then headed up the 101 to hwy 130 and headed east. We stopped at Upton Falls on the side of the road and then headed a little farther to Stella Falls.
IMG_9433.JPG
We grabbed a few pictures and headed farther east till we got to Gunaldo Falls. Visible from the road but we had to do a bushwhack to get to the base of the falls. Gunaldo Falls.
IMG_9489.JPG
Successfully we crossed the creek and didn't fall in so we were good and dry to go to our next stop. The roads we were looking for were marked with a tiny sign and we drove right by them so our next stop ended up being Alder Glen Falls up to the north off of Nestucca River Rd. Alder Glen Falls.
IMG_9530.JPG
After grabbing a few pictures here we headed west again until we found our turn off for Niagara Rd. We headed south and found the trail head we were looking for.
IMG_9564.JPG
This was our first time hiking this area an we had only seen a few pictures of what we were looking for so needless to say we were very happy with what was at the end of the trail. A happy Melinda with Pheasant Creek Falls behind her.
IMG_9676.JPG
IMG_9838.JPG
Same amphitheater...Niagara Falls.
IMG_9651.JPG
Back to the main road and just across from us was Forestry Rd. and the next set of waterfalls we were looking for. I drove right past the lower one and stopped at the upper one for pictures. Upper Clarance Creek Falls.
IMG_9705.JPG
Lower Clarance Creek Falls.
IMG_9759.JPG
It was getting late and we were worried that all of our picture taking and hiking was going to deprive of us our real goal for the day. With ten minutes to spare we got free samples and ice cream. Yay! :D
IMG_9776.JPG
We still had daylight after the nice treat so we headed to one more trail that we weren't able to do in Jan. because of snow. University Falls....funny thing is that it was dumping snow on us while we were taking pictures.
IMG_9804.JPG
Another great day of hiking and seeing waterfalls....thanks for looking. :)
Attachments
IMG_9564.JPG
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

merelunacy

Re: Coast range waterfall trip 4/13/13

Post by merelunacy » April 14th, 2013, 6:34 pm

While birthday parties can be fun, I preferred the adventure. :D Although ice cream and cheese definitely added a sweet and cheesy factor at the end of the day.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 14th, 2013, 7:58 pm

You guys knocked it out of the park on Saturday. I'm lovin these reports. Bushwhacking in jeans in the soaking wet brush is insane. There's this new invention they're calling rain gear :mrgreen:

Do u guys travel everywhere in the Pontiac? Nice ride, except I think these rural town gas stations are loving your debit card! :lol:

Looking forward to more Tim and Melinda adventures
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 14th, 2013, 8:20 pm

Forgot to add that Upper Clarance Creek is surprisingly significant. It's a beauty
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » April 14th, 2013, 9:20 pm

You two are waterfall machines! I am also enjoying your reports to all of the varying falls you've been visiting this year.

I spent a couple of nights at the primitive elk bend campground on the Nestucca about 5 years ago. I bet it is pretty in the spring time.

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » April 15th, 2013, 4:39 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:Forgot to add that Upper Clarance Creek is surprisingly significant. It's a beauty
This is actually about the most flattering picture I've ever seen of it. I've been there twice and both times it's been pretty ugly - during the winter it's quite brown around the edges, and during the summer the low water doesn't do it any favors. Plus there's that mound of rock and small trees right in front of it that makes it a PITA to really photograph well. I personally find the lower falls much nicer, though it's definitely not quite as big (though neither one are terribly big in the first place).

Ums

Post by Ums » April 15th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Great report and photos. Definitely putting these on the list for the summer.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » April 15th, 2013, 6:05 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:You guys knocked it out of the park on Saturday. I'm lovin these reports. Bushwhacking in jeans in the soaking wet brush is insane. There's this new invention they're calling rain gear :mrgreen:

Do u guys travel everywhere in the Pontiac? Nice ride, except I think these rural town gas stations are loving your debit card! :lol:

Funny thing Brian....we have rain gear but never use it. :lol: We usually take my old Pontiac everywhere but I'm fixing a few things on it right now so it didn't make this trip. I'm getting it ready for some longer trips this summer. That old car has seen more off road than most peoples 4 wheel drives. :)

Here's a few more pictures from our trip. Drift Creek Falls from the bridge.
IMG_9366.JPG
Hearts Cove trail head. :cry:
IMG_9418.JPG
A closer picture of Peasant Creek Falls.
IMG_9626.JPG
Another picture of Lower Clarance Creek Falls with a little more above.
IMG_9720.JPG
An awesome rainbow that came out when we were at the cheese factory. :D
IMG_9781.JPG
Tim

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » April 15th, 2013, 6:10 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:You guys knocked it out of the park on Saturday. I'm lovin these reports. Bushwhacking in jeans in the soaking wet brush is insane. There's this new invention they're calling rain gear :mrgreen:

Funny thing Brian....we have rain gear but never use it. :lol: We usually take my old Pontiac everywhere but I'm fixing a few things on it right now so it didn't make this trip. I'm getting it ready for some longer trips this summer. That old car has seen more off road than most peoples 4 wheel drives. :)

Here's a few more pictures from our trip. Drift Creek Falls from the bridge.
IMG_9366.JPG
Hearts Cove trail head. :cry:
IMG_9418.JPG
A closer picture of Peasant Creek Falls.
IMG_9626.JPG
Another picture of Lower Clarance Creek Falls with a little more above.
IMG_9720.JPG
An awesome rainbow that came out when we were at the cheese factory. :D
IMG_9781.JPG
Tim