1920 Mt. Hood trails/highways brochure with maps

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
justpeachy

1920 Mt. Hood trails/highways brochure with maps

Post by justpeachy » April 13th, 2013, 4:32 pm

I came across this pretty cool 1920 brochure on the Internet Archive site. It's called Forest Trails and Highways of the Mount Hood Region. This was way back when the Mount Hood National Forest was still known as the Oregon National Forest! There are lots of interesting tidbits, but this particular comment on page 26 struck me: "A National Forest is a large Government-owned timber farm, in charge of a forest supervisor, who may be likened to a farm superintendent." Just imagine if the attitude had been different, how many old growth trees might still be standing.

There are two fold-out maps in the brochure although they are incompletely scanned on the Internet Archive site. So I tracked down a copy and scanned the whole maps. Click the images to see the large version.

Portland and the Mt. Hood Region:

Mt. Hood Region:

forestkeeper

Re: 1920 Mt. Hood trails/highways brochure with maps

Post by forestkeeper » April 13th, 2013, 6:07 pm

:D This is way cool, Cheryl!! Wait till Robfromredland and Brian Edwards see this. Thanks for sharing. Any way of finding earlier maps? I'm even trying to dig up records concerning the Clackamas and Molalla Indians, their homes and burial grounds in the Mt. Hood National Forest, rail lines from Estacada to Ripplebrook or Estacada to the old Clackamas Lakes Ranger District, near Timothy Lake.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 13th, 2013, 6:38 pm

nwtrailape wrote:Any way of finding earlier maps?
There's a 1911 topo map of Mt. Hood, although it excludes a huge part of today's Mt. Hood National Forest area, including the Clackamas River area.

http://kaga.wsulibs.wsu.edu/zoom/zoom.php?map=topo066

I know that the Oregon Historical Society in Portland and the University of Oregon library in Eugene both have historic map collections. I know for sure that UO has old Mt. Hood maps because people have posted here about those before.

The Mt. Hood Cultural Center and Museum in Government Camp might have something in their collection. I was actually supposed to go up there this morning to do research for my book and was thwarted by the snow, so I'll have to reschedule for early May after I get back from vacation. If I find anything interesting I'll let you know!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 13th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Thanks, Cheryl! Neat! :D

BTW, too bad WSU has opted to use a crappy Flash viewer for their maps. That will be a relic system in about 5 years, unfortunately.

Tom

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 13th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Splintercat wrote:Thanks, Cheryl! Neat! :D

BTW, too bad WSU has opted to use a crappy Flash viewer for their maps. That will be a relic system in about 5 years, unfortunately.

Tom
Tom, do you have a link for the WSU digital map viewer? Do they have Oregon maps as well? Is there facility to save off maps?

Just curious.

Thanks
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 13th, 2013, 7:38 pm

justpeachy wrote:I know for sure that UO has old Mt. Hood maps because people have posted here about those before.

I just went searching through my old bookmark lists and found a flickr set of Mt. Hood area map photos/scans from the UO library: http://boundless.uoregon.edu/digcol/ormaps/

There's also this online maps collection from a join project with UO and OSU: http://boundless.uoregon.edu/digcol/ormaps/

do you have a link for the WSU digital map viewer? Do they have Oregon maps as well? Is there facility to save off maps?
Here is the index for the topo maps that WSU has online: http://content.wsulibs.wsu.edu/cdm/usgs ... tion/maps/ Looks like the only Oregon maps they have are the ones where the Oregon/Washington border passes through the map.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 13th, 2013, 7:44 pm

You know what's puzzling about that 1911 topo is that it's not included in the historical map collection on the USGS website. I wonder why. I also wonder if there are 1911 topo maps for the next quad east and south.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 13th, 2013, 8:14 pm

justpeachy wrote:You know what's puzzling about that 1911 topo is that it's not included in the historical map collection on the USGS website. I wonder why. I also wonder if there are 1911 topo maps for the next quad east and south.
For some reason, the USGS site does not have ALL the maps. I know that for a fact, because a friend of mine had a hard copy map which was not on the USGS historical site - the map was dated 1956. It has a lot of them, but definitely not all of them. The map librarian at UofO thought that it was maybe because they just never received some of the historical maps wherever they archived them.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 13th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Cheryl, on that 1911 map -- there were a couple different versions at this scale, and they overlapped. A full series at that scale was never completed, and eventually just replaced by the 15 minute series, then the 7.5 minute series. The copy you linked to is the only one I've ever seen, and is actually a reprint from the USGS, circa 1950s.

Very fun reading through the brochure! Looking at the Eagle Creek trail log, and I found an answer to one of my longstanding questions (and enough to give me nightmares):

3.7 A beautiful small waterfall [Loowit Falls] is seen on opposite banks of Eagle Creek.

3.8 Trail enters a deep rocky gorge clinging to the face of a high perpendicular rock cliff, on the edge of a cleft in the rocks, less than 25 feet wide and 125 feet deep [High Bridge gorge]. Eagle Creek below. A spring and drinking water is on right of trail near high log bridge crossing the chasm. Trail goes over bridge. [Gasp! Er... after YOU!!].

3.0. Trail continues through fir timber on right bank of Eagle Creek with views of High Bridge and Eagle Creek gorge.

4.0. Mile board on right reads: COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY, 4 MILES. Rainbow Falls on left. [Rainbow Falls? Sounds like WyEast Falls to me, and an apt name, as it frequently catches the sunlight]

Great resource. I'll have to spend some quality time matching this up with a modern-day log. Fascinating find, Cheryl!

Tom :)

Chase

Post by Chase » April 14th, 2013, 3:46 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:
justpeachy wrote:You know what's puzzling about that 1911 topo is that it's not included in the historical map collection on the USGS website. I wonder why. I also wonder if there are 1911 topo maps for the next quad east and south.
For some reason, the USGS site does not have ALL the maps. I know that for a fact, because a friend of mine had a hard copy map which was not on the USGS historical site - the map was dated 1956. It has a lot of them, but definitely not all of them. The map librarian at UofO thought that it was maybe because they just never received some of the historical maps wherever they archived them.
I contact the USGS about this in January. Apparently, they rely on other libraries for copies of many older maps. When I asked about the 1911 topo (because, like Splinty, I don't like that flash viewer that U.W. uses), they said the oldest one they had as a reference was from a library in Texas dating 1924:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/ore ... d-1924.jpg

I wonder about other (lost?) USGS maps from between 1911 and 1924.