Mark O. Hatfield Memorial Trail Project

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
mayhem

Re: Mark O. Hatfield Memorial Trail Project

Post by mayhem » July 16th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Chase wrote:
Grannyhiker wrote:Never having been an admirer of the late Senator (although I do appreciate his work on the Gorge Scenic Area), I would really be turned off by a trail labeled with pictures of him! Or any other politician, for that matter.

Fortunately, as I mentioned earlier, the Forest Service isn't going to let you put up signs like that in a wilderness area! You instead want to think in terms of the little metal markers used for the PCT and CDT which go on already existing signposts.
Regarding the images of Hatfield on the signage, Splintercat has already addressed this issue. I think a few people responded that Splinty's Hatfield sign is a bit creepy, which is arguably true. ;)

Regarding your concern about the FS and signage. At no point did anyone say they were going to start putting up any signs. We're just tossing around ideas for logos and signs, which will happen eventually. If you are concerned that someone is going to put up signs illegally, call the CRGNSA at 503-308-1700 or Lisa Northrop at the FS 503-668-1700. Make sure you mention the Hatfield Trail in your call. :mrgreen:

Regarding your ideas for the size of the proposed signs, Splinty has already addressed that as well. The signs will be almost the same size as PCT, CDT, and AT signs, although probably more square-ish than diamond-ish. :roll:

Regarding your desire to not see politicians on these signs, out of curiosity, when's the last time you hiked the Hatfield Trail? :?:
I think if we all complain about weird creepy signs up already that need to be taken down the service would get in there & clear the trail & then put up new legal signs & never find the Quatum physics signs! Bammm problem solved!!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

ericholscher

Post by ericholscher » March 11th, 2013, 8:42 am

Any update on this project? I tried to look at the maps, but all of the links are dead. Seems like a neat idea, but from what I can tell, Bull Run is mostly holding it up? I've been looking for a good 3-4 day backpack in the area, and this seems like a pretty awesome one, though it does sound like some parts of it are unfinished.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » March 11th, 2013, 11:24 am

ericholscher wrote:Any update on this project? I tried to look at the maps, but all of the links are dead. Seems like a neat idea, but from what I can tell, Bull Run is mostly holding it up? I've been looking for a good 3-4 day backpack in the area, and this seems like a pretty awesome one, though it does sound like some parts of it are unfinished.
I did this as a 2-part, 3-night backpack in June 2010 ([url=ttp://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5612]MOHT 2010[/url]) from Angels Rest to Starvation Ck. Some of the Loonies have done it as an overnight. Multnomah Falls is the proposed "official" start of the trail but that's too crowded for me (and also doesn't let you span the Gorge). If it were not for Bull Run, it would be possible to go from Moffett Ck to Indian Springs or Whatum Lake without having to go in and out of the Tanner and Eagle Ck drainages. Well, maybe one day. In the meantime, this is one of the neatest backpacks in the Gorge.

tschalpi

Post by tschalpi » May 25th, 2017, 10:13 am

Here's hopefully a way to revive some of the trail's vibe: Hatfield Challenge Series (HCS), http://www.christofteuscher.com/hcs

Chazz

Post by Chazz » June 29th, 2017, 8:29 am

Christoph,

Those routes look fantastic. Even the 50k is a tough accomplishment with that much elevation gain. I'm going to be working hard to recruit some hardy souls to accompany me this year.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » July 16th, 2017, 8:00 am

Just did the trip in early July (long trip report or just the trail conditions). Still really hoping it becomes a reality, and happy to lobby however I can.

Also, Christof: those routes look amazing.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » April 30th, 2018, 2:32 pm

I never did get to do the trail in 2017 and I fear that means I waited too long. With the 2017 Gorge fires, I fear that much of the deep and poorly maintained trails are gone and never to return. Sigh...