Changing conditions on Larch Mt. 2-24-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jack

Changing conditions on Larch Mt. 2-24-2013

Post by Jack » February 26th, 2013, 4:20 pm

We’ve found that snowshoe conditions on Larch Mt. can be optimized when the snowshoes blaze the trail before the postholers. Knowing that Friday’s storm brought in fresh snow, we were hoping for the best.

Fairy Falls was in it’s ever present sparkling flow.

Once on the Multnomah Cr. Tr. the snow was light and wet with good footing at 1400’.

The 1st log bridge had but a smattering at 1800’.

Spitfire crossing the 2nd log bridge at 2100’ that required some careful footing, but was hardly challenging.

On the way to the talus slope

There was a group ahead of us, so we had a nice snowshoe track most of the way which was much different from my last visit up here.

There were no signs of this posthole trench pictured on Dec. 30.

Just below the jct. with the gated 315 FS Rd.

Atop Larch Mt. proper at 4000’

The cloud cover was lifting as we made our way up, but never fully burned off.

There were no volcano peak views from Sherrard Pt…

…but having a view well beyond my snowshoes is always welcome.

We shared the summit with the group who broke trail most of the way and had a reunion of sorts with Rob (middle) with whom we’ve bumped into and hiked with periodically over the years.
A rather subdued group?

On the contrary! Needless to say, Sherrard Pt. was the place to be. Nice meeting you all.

Table Mt. and Nesmith Pt. in the distance

Going back down the snow covered stairway

One last glimpse before losing sight of a rare blue sky and succumbing to the heavy tree cover.

These two were coming up on snowshoes, I believe from the gated road, with their 5 mild-mannered dogs who were having the time of their lives.

After passing by numerous people coming up, the well trodden talus slope was still agreeable to snowshoes.

We made fairly quick work out of getting back over to the Wahkeena Falls Tr. and back to the Wahkeena Falls TH.

All in all, these were ideal conditions for a Larch Mt. snowshoe. The snow packed down with very little sinking, before the postholers showed up. We had a wide smooth track and I’m glad we got it in, as I’m sure those conditions are rapidly changing.

kepPNW

Re: Changing conditions on Larch Mt. 2-24-2013

Post by kepPNW » February 26th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Beautiful, as always, Jack! Boy do you guys hit some nice scenery! That's an interesting approach you take, too, from Wahkeena. If you'd been a few hours later, or I'd been a few hours earlier, we could've crossed trails again. What's the mileage on that route?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Crusak

Post by Crusak » February 26th, 2013, 7:28 pm

kepPNW wrote:Beautiful, as always, Jack! Boy do you guys hit some nice scenery! That's an interesting approach you take, too, from Wahkeena. If you'd been a few hours later, or I'd been a few hours earlier, we could've crossed trails again. What's the mileage on that route?
I didn't notice that you went up Wahkeena & back down the same way until Karl mentioned it. I've never thought of doing that before. I've done the up Multnomah to Larch then back down Wahkeena. I'll have to keep this in mind next time I go up there! ;)

Is that route longer than the traditional 14 mile RT Larch Mtn hike? Nice part of that route is you get to skip the touristy Multnomah Falls side.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Jack

Post by Jack » February 26th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Yes Karl and Crus, we log 16 miles/5000’ on this route. By dropping and regaining 400’ from the Devils Rest Jct. down to Multnomah Cr., it adds 800’ gain by going both directions to and from Larch. Spitfire and the others enjoy that afternoon sprint back up to the Devils Rest Jct. and avoiding the masses at Multnomah Falls. As for me, I throw away lot of blurry photos from shootin’ pics on the run. :D

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 27th, 2013, 6:16 am

I need to take that route, sometime. A lot to be said for avoiding the MF masses! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » March 1st, 2013, 10:30 am

a lot more snow than when I hiked Mult to Larch a few weeks ago