A Big Loop Around Devils Rest 19-Jan-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

A Big Loop Around Devils Rest 19-Jan-2013

Post by VanMarmot » January 19th, 2013, 4:44 pm

This morning dawned 29F, foggy, and frosty. I wasn't inspired to rush immediately to a TH nor to a far distant TH. I also wanted to give the snow shoes a rest. So I chose the classic Devils Rest loop but, after gazing at the map for a bit, added a twist. The fog evaporated just past the Sandy River and as I pulled into the Angels Rest TH (2nd car there), a full bluebird day was shaping up fast. Starting out, I had a good view of Archer Mtn across the river.

From just below Angles Rest, I could see that Portland was still having fun with fog.

The trail to Angels Rest was snow-free but the 415 to Wahkeena Spring and the 420C to Devils Rest had icy patches that made walking a balance exercise. The microspikes went on and stayed on until the W side of Devils Rest, despite there being a few snow-free segments enroute.

The best viewpoint on the 420C is just before the top of Devils Rest. On this amazingly clear and cloud-free day, it was possible to see Silver Star (s) {I could almost imagine a line of hikers ascending the S Ridge}, Sturgeon Rock (sr), and the Indian Pits (ip),

St. Helens and Rainier (R),

as well as Birkenfeld (b), South Birkenfeld (sb), Table (t), Adams (a), Hamilton (hm), and Hardy Ridge (h).

I followed the Foxglove Trail off Devils back toward Angles Rest but where it makes a sharp turn to the right to head downhill, I turned left onto an old, abandoned road. I'm sure Don has all these mapped, but this was a new twist for me. These tracks are still recognizable as roads due to a lack of trees, but in many place the tread has been narrowed by time and vegetation to trail width.

For the next 2 mi, I'd follow these surprisingly pleasant to hike old roads W and downhill toward Palmer Mill Rd.

Other people find whole railroads and other cool stuff in this area - the best I could do was this wrecked motorcycle.

The old roads end at a very stout locked gate on a dirt road along side Bridal Veil Creek.

Shortly downhill on that road is another huge locked gate and Palmer Mill Rd.

Palmer Mill is a compacted dirt gravel road that leads directly to the upper Angles Rest TH parking lot. There were two cars in the lower lot when I left and just a few more when I returned. :shock: Just your typical sunny winter day at Angels Rest. However, I only saw 5 people all day and none after I reached the 415 trail.

This was a fun hike - something classic, something new (for me at least), big views, and bluebird conditions. 12.5 mi RT, 2700' EG.

pablo

Re: A Big Loop Around Devils Rest 19-Jan-2013

Post by pablo » January 19th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Nice TR of a great loop with lots of solitude considering part of it is Angel's Rest. I do this route about once a month only in the opposite direction - I hike up Palmer Mill Rd - hardly any traffic. It is a great training hike, nearby, with lots of views and quiet forest - respectable distance and elevation gain. The trails/old roads back there are in good condition - obviously these trails have some friends.

In that section of road you traveled after Devils rest on the way to Palmer Mill Road, do you recall crossing a stream that lies in a ditch about 2-3' wide that cuts orthogonally across the road? This spot is an example of the effects of good intentions gone awry. This summer someone made a nice little stone bridge across the creek when the flows were low, cute, you could walk across rather than having to jump. Then the rains came this fall and the nice stone walkway turned into a rock dam diverting pretty much the entire stream down the roadway/trail. Really made a mess of things. I cleared out al the rocks and tried to establish a dam to protect the trail - I think the channel should be pretty much back to normal but there was still a little water going down the trail last time I was up there.

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Peder

Post by Peder » January 19th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Other people find whole railroads and other cool stuff in this area - the best I could do was this wrecked motorcycle.
Isn't that a first? I do not recall anybody else finding motorcycle remains! That looks like an interesting loop - I will check it out sometime. Thank you.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 19th, 2013, 7:30 pm

pablo wrote:On this amazingly clear and cloud-free day, it was possible to see Silver Star (s) {I could almost imagine a line of hikers ascending the S Ridge}, Sturgeon Rock (sr), and the Indian Pits (ip),
I was waving! Honest... :D

What a day, huh?! Many thanks for the south ridge inspiration! It was beautiful up there, today.

Now I gotta go do the loop you wrote up here! I never knew about that little extension, and the mileage sounds perfect for many a day. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

pablo

Post by pablo » January 19th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Peder wrote:
Isn't that a first? I do not recall anybody else finding motorcycle remains! That looks like an interesting loop - I will check it out sometime. Thank you.
Peder,

The motorcycle (and possibly more than one) is standard fare along this route along with 'the barrel/glove/tires', and the 'vacuum cleaner' - there might be a refrigerator.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

cfm

Post by cfm » January 19th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Sounds like you traveled part of the Secret Relic Trail!

Did you see the vaccum cleaner?
Eureka.jpg
There is also a real old rusted car, a 70s era truck cab, and a very strange barbed wire fence pen around some trees up there as if someone was keeping an animal.

There are a few branches of single track off those roads that are fun to wander. Someone maintains the trails- clear evidence of recently cut branches and clearing. There is also a network of old roads and trails on the west side of Bridal Veil Creek that connect to Larch Mountain Road. You can get there by crossing the creek at the gravel pit near the washout on Palmer Mill or from the yellow gate at mp 8.5 on Larch Mtn Rd.

I too get a kick out of spending a few hours up there in absolute solitude and then chuckle as I drive by the overflowing parking lot at Angels Rest.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » January 20th, 2013, 7:56 am

Is that last pic a VM self shot? :) Great idea for a hike close to town that offers lots of quiet sections of trail/old road if you know where to look. Thanks for posting the map.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 20th, 2013, 8:18 am

pablo wrote:Nice TR of a great loop with lots of solitude considering part of it is Angel's Rest. I do this route about once a month only in the opposite direction - I hike up Palmer Mill Rd - hardly any traffic. It is a great training hike, nearby, with lots of views and quiet forest - respectable distance and elevation gain. The trails/old roads back there are in good condition - obviously these trails have some friends.

In that section of road you traveled after Devils rest on the way to Palmer Mill Road, do you recall crossing a stream that lies in a ditch about 2-3' wide that cuts orthogonally across the road? This spot is an example of the effects of good intentions gone awry. This summer someone made a nice little stone bridge across the creek when the flows were low, cute, you could walk across rather than having to jump. Then the rains came this fall and the nice stone walkway turned into a rock dam diverting pretty much the entire stream down the roadway/trail. Really made a mess of things. I cleared out al the rocks and tried to establish a dam to protect the trail - I think the channel should be pretty much back to normal but there was still a little water going down the trail last time I was up there.

Thx,

--Paul
I recall this crossing. You did a good job - the water is now confined to a 3-4' wide channel. It's just a little swampy around it. Up Palmer Mill would be a good workout - surprising steep gradient much of the way!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 20th, 2013, 8:20 am

cfm wrote:Sounds like you traveled part of the Secret Relic Trail!

Did you see the vaccum cleaner?
Eureka.jpg
I saw the vacuum cleaner! What surprised me was how far up the road it was - seemed like a lot of back country travel was involved just to get rid on an old appliance?

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 20th, 2013, 8:24 am

Sean Thomas wrote:Is that last pic a VM self shot? :) Great idea for a hike close to town that offers lots of quiet sections of trail/old road if you know where to look. Thanks for posting the map.
Yes, it's a self-portrait. I think pdxflowergirl has the only actual picture of me - taken one foggy day on Observation Peak. Unlike Mayhem, I haven't learned the art of stretching my arm out to take a self-portrait.