Three Lynx Falls 12/24, Upper Falls 2/1

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
BrianEdwards

Re: Three Lynx Falls 12/24

Post by BrianEdwards » December 29th, 2012, 3:23 pm

Rustygoat wrote:I still had those two, North Fork Clackamas Falls and Bee Creek Falls on my list of waterfalls to see in that area. Thanks for posting that link to your report on the North Fork Falls....I'm glad I read that before heading down there. :)
Cool, Tim. I'm currently hiking back to the car from Bee Creek Falls as I type. Trip report in a couple hours :)
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

aywolfpac

Post by aywolfpac » December 30th, 2012, 6:55 pm

We were able to bag Three Lynx Falls on Saturday. It is a beauty! The walk up the road is super short so that's a nice bonus. My eyeball measurement would have been 85-90' so we're definitely in the same ballpark and I seem to slightly underestimate heights. I did notice a fairly obvious sign at the dam saying something to the effect of "Keep Out". It's easy enough to scramble around the hillside and avoid the dam and stairs. There was just a hint of snow and ice around the falls. The creek forks just downstream from the falls with the right side going over the dam and falls. I'm kind of curious what the left fork of the creek does upstream. Seems like it should fall over that same cliff. Anyway:

I also spotted a very seasonal waterfall from the car that I scrambled up to. Nothing special, but I liked the lichen on the cliff. I'm sure you've seen this one before and it's definitely too small of a stream to get worked up over:

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 30th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Nice Aaron! Having a DSLR makes a big difference in photo quality. I think 90 feet works. It definitely wasn't 100' to my eyes. I seen that sign too, but its not like I was going for a swim in the reservoir. I didn't see a fork in the creek, was it above the dam?

That seasonal falls you shot, was it up a narrow slot from the highway that was easy to miss? I think you found what some locals call Angel Falls. If you just happen to see it, good catch! It's one that's hard to see even when you're looking for it.

Here's a crappy iPhone pic. Was this the one?

aywolfpac

Post by aywolfpac » December 30th, 2012, 7:26 pm

That's definitely Angel Falls. I leaned against the tree on the right side of your picture when I took mine.

As for 3 Lynx, I have a tendency to sort of ignore/bypass those signs too. My rationale is that it's just there to keep people out of the creek. I just point it out for the sake of others who may be a little more concerned about those types of things. The fork was just downstream from where the "trail" hits the road to the dam. It looked to me like the left fork had more water but it's not on the maps at all, not even a little gully in the topo lines to show where it might be. Another mystery for you to solve I suppose. Thanks for the directions; it gave me a nice and easy morning adventure before being crammed in the house with relatives all afternoon and evening. Here's a video of the falls as well:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 9488729873

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 30th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Glad u made it out there. I almost swang over to the school to see if there was anyone parked there on Saturday, as I was less then a mile away for a bit of the day. I guess when I go for the upper Falls, I'll look for a tributary and see about chasing it up a ways.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » December 31st, 2012, 11:50 am

I saw that sign too kinda why I didn't go up to the falls. With the amount of snow that was there on the 26th, I would have been sliding down into the reservoir. I didn't feel like taking a swim that day. :mrgreen: My balance is still off but is getting better every time I go out. Brian I was wondering if you were going to bushwhack your way up to the upper falls from the school or if you had seen a way down from above anywhere?
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 31st, 2012, 12:06 pm

My plan is to head to the dam, climb the stairs, and ascend straight up where the cliff turns into a gully, then head up the ridge proper. I climbed to the top of the amphitheater on my trip in there to look at the ridge, and it was open and easy to hike up. It never being logged has kept the understory open

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 19th, 2013, 8:00 pm

My daughter and I went to see these falls today, and ran into another couple with their dogs. This is a real treat - it is a VERY short hike, and a BEAUTIFUL falls! And the forest on the way to the falls is absolutely amazing.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » January 19th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Nice Rob. That forest really is quite beautiful in there. It's one of my favorite forested spots. Did u guys climb the stairs and side hill to the falls, or stop at the dam?

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 19th, 2013, 10:41 pm

We went all the way up to the falls - I don't think we had quite as good a vantage spot as you did, but we got a great view of the falls.

What an awesome place! And so close...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson