Favorite rainy-day hikes?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
anne37

Favorite rainy-day hikes?

Post by anne37 » September 24th, 2011, 12:54 pm

As much as I know technically that rain is part of hiking in the Pacific Northwest, I still get pouty at the sight of an across-the-board inclement forecast like tomorrow's. Can anyone recommend some hikes that they not only like in the rain, but maybe even prefer? I want to save the Gorge for the winter, so maybe some of your favorites within a two or three hour drive? Hopefully with diverse terrain (I prefer to be out of the forest for the majority of a hike) and between 8 and 14 miles RT.

Thanks for any suggestions!

pyles_94

Re: Favorite rainy-day hikes?

Post by pyles_94 » September 24th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Eagle Creek Trail (in the gorge, but it really is a treat to see with nobody on it)

Clackamas river trail would be nice.

Wilson River
Jamey Pyles

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » September 24th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Hikes through the forest with a big stream nearby are my favorite rainy-day hikes.

- Salmon River trail
- Clackamas River trail
- Abiqua Falls & Butte Creek Falls
- Opal Creek
- Fish Creek
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

anne37

Post by anne37 » September 24th, 2011, 11:37 pm

Thanks both of you guys - Salmon River Trail and Opal Creek both sound like good choices. :)

rosecity

Post by rosecity » September 26th, 2011, 2:31 pm

Trapper Creek is another possible rainy day trip (but not Observation Peak).

jkb

Post by jkb » February 13th, 2012, 8:09 pm

I kind of like Silver Falls State Park when it's raining (and preferably higher water). Lots more water going over the falls and hardly anyone there.

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » February 13th, 2012, 10:21 pm

jkb wrote:I kind of like Silver Falls State Park when it's raining (and preferably higher water). Lots more water going over the falls and hardly anyone there.
Me too! Just in case anyone attempts to head that way though, I thought I would post the current trail status, from the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department:

"Feb. 2, 2012 Trail Update: Closed: Canyon Trail from North Falls to Maple Ridge (4 miles) and Winter Falls Trail Head. ALL back country trails closed. See Map

The south half of the Perimeter Trail is closed between the Rackett Ridge/Perimeter Trail intersection and the Buck Mountain Loop/Perimeter Trail intersection because of unsafe trail conditions. No estimate for reopening. The trail that goes behind Middle North Falls is closed until further notice."

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/images/ ... damage.pdf

BigBear

Post by BigBear » February 14th, 2012, 9:56 am

Flat hikes make the best rainy day hikes, otherwise it's a constant battle with your clothing between perspiration and precipitation.

This time of year, the snowline is an issue. Over 2000 feet above sea level and there's a question of roads being plowed and trails being hikeable.

If it's the early fall, I like Indian Heaven if it's the first day of rain. The lakes look mysterious. After a few days of rain, the trails are flooded.

Pick any lake loop or riverside walk and you can't go wrong.

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » February 14th, 2012, 11:18 am

I second many of the recommendations above, but consider the coast, too. On Sunday I hiked Cape Falcon in the rain (and mud), and hardly saw another person. The forest was quiet, with huge sitka muffling the rain, and from the tip of the cape I watched sea lions, bald eagles, and whales. The high tide slamming against the cliffs was pretty nice too. It's only 5 miles RT, but you could add Neahkanie Mountain for another couple of miles and a fun climb, or even shuttle between Arch Cape and Neahkanie for something like a 14 one-way. The coast in winter is almost a definition of PNW to me.

As for Opal Creek, isn't the road out, or damaged? Might check before you go.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » February 14th, 2012, 11:52 am

The road to Opal Creek is open (well as of Sunday it was). The road to Three Pools is the one that is closed.