pct- jefferson to hood...

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
pyles_94

pct- jefferson to hood...

Post by pyles_94 » September 21st, 2008, 7:43 pm

how many miles is this trip?? im probably gonna do something like this next year, but im just trying to find some details.
Jamey Pyles

Aimless

Re: pct- jefferson to hood...

Post by Aimless » September 22nd, 2008, 9:56 am

Best source of info like this would be the Wilderness Press guidebook called Pacific Crest Trail, Volume 2: Oregon and Washington. I presume you are thinking of getting on the trail at Santiam Pass, just south of the Mt. Jefferson wilderness and getting off at Timberline Lodge, but these are just two possible end points. That particular itinerary would add up to right around 100 miles.

The trickiest part of a 100 mile backpack is figuring out how to resupply yourself along the way, so you don't have to start hiking with all your food and fuel for the entire hike. Of course, if you are in shape to do 20 mile days or longer, you may not need to resupply at all. Most hikers would, though.

I've done some long sections of the PCT (200 and 150 miles, respectively). It was a wonderful experience each time. I used caches to resupply, but this is not the usual method. Good luck. I hope you get to do it.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » September 22nd, 2008, 1:27 pm

Went from Timberline to Santiam about few years ago with no resupply other than picking up a few treats at Olallie. The stretch from Clackamas Lake through the Warm Springs reservation to Olallie is BORING and FLAT and DRY! Water can only be found at Warm Spings River (awful campsite) and Trooper Springs (not much better). Lots of logging, road crossings, and spoiled views. There is a sign between Pinhead Buttes that says thirsty? water 8 miles in either direction. Unless you are a PCT thru-hiker, segment hiker, or just have to do that section, I would pick something that is more appealing. Something like starting at Olallie and ending further south like Santiam Pass or McKenzie Hwy.

My two bits
PCT class of 2012

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » September 22nd, 2008, 2:34 pm

are you sure?? 100 miles... one way....

i looked on my oregon map and as a bird flies its about 45 miles. 100 doesnt seem reasonable. unless you were referring to both ways.....
Jamey Pyles

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » September 22nd, 2008, 3:00 pm

Jamey, where did you plan on exiting the trail? Its 55 miles from Timberline Lodge to Olallie Lake and road 4220.
PCT class of 2012

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » September 22nd, 2008, 3:37 pm

yeah, that sounds much more like it.

i was actually planning on doing it from santiam pass to timberline lodge.
Jamey Pyles

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 22nd, 2008, 3:42 pm

Maybe Timberline Lodge to Cascade Locks would be better?

Or by Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, to White Pass?

just a thought...

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 22nd, 2008, 4:33 pm

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 22nd, 2008, 4:59 pm

There's a certain mindset that's required to do long sections (over 100 miles) of the PCT.

Not every stretch of trail has spectacular scenery. There are a surprising number of dry miles between some water sources. On the less-than-stunningly-gorgeous stretches you have to start finding your pleasures in small things, like a patch of deep shade under a big old tree, seeing a coyote, or hearing the hermit thrushes singing. And finally you just have to appreciate being out there, away from the crowds and noise.

Those "boring" stretches are also the places where you can find the most solitude - because the sensation-seekers and scenery addicts never go there. They have their own charm for those who can adjust to them.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » September 23rd, 2008, 7:46 am

Aimless wrote:There's a certain mindset that's required to do long sections (over 100 miles) of the PCT.

Not every stretch of trail has spectacular scenery. There are a surprising number of dry miles between some water sources. On the less-than-stunningly-gorgeous stretches you have to start finding your pleasures in small things, like a patch of deep shade under a big old tree, seeing a coyote, or hearing the hermit thrushes singing. And finally you just have to appreciate being out there, away from the crowds and noise.

Those "boring" stretches are also the places where you can find the most solitude - because the sensation-seekers and scenery addicts never go there. They have their own charm for those who can adjust to them.
Aimless, I agree since I have "adjusted" to several sections (over 100 miles) of the PCT including Hood to Santiam Pass. In fact, I spent my honeymoon on that very section! Its just my opinion but this section is ugly unless you like stumps. Other PCT'ers have related the same thing to me. There is ongoing logging on the reservation and the trail crosses several logging roads in various states of use. Maybe its just the difference between FS land/BIA land and true wilderness. Sure one can find small pleasures here as they can on any trail, backyard or street corner. I would rather spend my limited hiking time in alpine areas, meadows, lakes, viewpoints, etc than in these logged over areas everytime. And I do appreciate being out there - right there - as I have backpacked the PCT at Olallie the last 2 weekends. I found many small pleasures in the huckleberries!
PCT class of 2012