Salmon Butte TH Moved

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Born2BBrad

Salmon Butte TH Moved

Post by Born2BBrad » May 19th, 2011, 3:18 pm

I’m not sure if this is the correct forum, but Salmon Butte trailhead has been moved. It used to be that you could drive the road all the way to where the trail meets the road. Now there is a concrete barrier and many berms beginning just up the road from where it crosses Salmon River. This adds 1.5 to 2 miles one way. I don’t know why the trailhead was moved. Maybe so the road wouldn’t have to be maintained.
Attachments
DSC02006.JPG
One of the many berms on the road to the old TH
DSC02005.JPG
Concrete barrier at the new TH

romann

Re: Salmon Butte TH Moved

Post by romann » May 19th, 2011, 10:15 pm

It's interesting if they allow to bike up this road to the old trailhead (should be unless they moved wilderness boundary). Maybe the way to beat the crowds.

I wish they moved Multnomah trailhead two miles away somehow :twisted:

Charley

Post by Charley » May 19th, 2011, 10:17 pm

That's too bad. It'd be one thing if the trail was just longer, but instead, now we have to walk a mile and half up a boring road in a regrown clearcut just to get to the trailhead.

@Romann- second that motion!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » May 24th, 2011, 6:35 pm

The roaad had a significant gap in the roadbed last year which was too much for passenger cars. Most likely USFS doesn't have the money to maintain this road. Incidently, the old trailhead parking area used to be in the meadow near the trailhead. What meadow? Well, that is a question that answers itself as to why the parking area was moved back to the main road.