Hiking/Camping Recommendations

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
smflyer

Hiking/Camping Recommendations

Post by smflyer » June 19th, 2008, 2:29 pm

Hello,

My wife and I are new to the area and are looking for some recommendations for trails within a couple of hours of Portland that offer places to camp. We have already hiked/camped Eagle Creek a couple of times so that trail would be of the running.

We would be interested in doing a 15-20 mile or so round trip with reasonable elevation changes.

Thanks

Martell

Re: Hiking/Camping Recommendations

Post by Martell » June 19th, 2008, 2:45 pm

The "Find a Hike!" link above might be of some help for you (ignore the ugliness for now, it's part of our transferring to a new server). Here is one search I did:

Backpackable Hikes, 10+ miles
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

drm

Post by drm » June 19th, 2008, 8:08 pm

I think that loops between Herman Creek and Gorton Creek trails might be best. Look them up on the Field Guide.

zombie

Post by zombie » June 19th, 2008, 8:22 pm

I've been tossing around the idea of an overnight at Mount Hebo. About 16 miles round trip on an out and back. If the weather cooperates you get views from Ranier to Jefferson and of course the coast! I'd think of starting at the main Mount Hebo campground and going 8 miles out to the primitive sites at South Lake. Plus the relatively low daily milage gives you a few hours to play at the coast when you're all done.

Something a little different than the Gorge!

-aaron

smokey

Post by smokey » June 19th, 2008, 9:52 pm

My recommendation would be the Indian Heaven Wilderness, near Mt. Adams. You could easily get your desired mileage in and see many beautiful lakes/views along the way. The mosquitoes can be heavy there, so best to wait until September (esp. this year with the late snow melt!).

smflyer

Post by smflyer » June 22nd, 2008, 1:00 pm

Thank you for the recommendations, we appreciate it!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 24th, 2008, 6:30 pm

Try hiking to Ridge Camp on Nick Eaton Ridge. See http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Loop_Hike

It's about 14 miles roiund trip, 4000' elevation gain

No snow up there to speak of. I was just up there at the high point, and there was no snow, and talked to someone that hiked the entire Nick Eaton Ridge and saw only a few patches

There's supposed to be water at Ridge Camp. If you go East of the camp there's a stream.