Cairn Basin->McNeil Point

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
cubaricho

Cairn Basin->McNeil Point

Post by cubaricho » September 2nd, 2010, 9:01 am

Has anyone does this hike?

I was just looking in the 10/11 version of 100 Hikes in NW and the thought to combine hikes 70 and 71 together crossed my mind. Would taking this route make it "easier" to get to McNeil Point than his actual McNeil Point hike (#70)?

Following his book/maps I would park at the trailhead he mentions for the Cairn Basin hike (#71) hiking the Vista Ridge until the fork @ 5700' and taking the right fork down through Eden Park to the Cairn Basin shelter. Then taking the trail he mentions up to the McNeil Point Shelter.

BigBear

Re: Cairn Basin->McNeil Point

Post by BigBear » September 2nd, 2010, 9:16 am

I'm not certain what you are asking.

Cairn Basin is located on the Timberline Trail, while McNeil Point is located above the Timberline Trail (on the inital alignment of the trail) which requires more effort from the climbers' trail and timing of snowmelt from the new trail up the ridge between the two shelters.

The Climbers' Route has become rather eroded during the past decade. There are three spots where hands are needed for balance.

The new route (opened about 5 years ago to reduce damage along the stream bank) has two snow features in July. The first is a large, low sloped snowbank and the the second (immediately before the meadow where the shelter stands) is a steep-sloped snowfield, althogh much shorter to cross.

Neither of these snow fields were a problem 5 weeks ago.

The Vista Ridge trail ascends to the PCT at Wyest Basin, and a crossing of Ladd Creek is required to reach Cairn Basin or Eden Park. A second significant fork is located to the west of Cairn Basin. In periods of high runoff, these obstacles could be formidable. In addition, there is a late hanging snow field on the west bank of the 2nd fork. I was at Cairn Basin last week and the snow field had completely melted and the west creek crossing was easy. Two couples I met ont he trail had camped in Elk Cove and were able to cross Ladd Creek that morning.

Have I answered your question?

pdxgene

Re: Cairn Basin->McNeil Point

Post by pdxgene » September 2nd, 2010, 9:25 am

Unless you're coming from Hood River it's probably going to take at least an extra half hour of driving time to get to the Vista Ridge trailhead lot than it would be to Top Spur or even Cathedral Ridge (longer, steeper Mazama trail) which I believe would be the other ways to get up to McNeil.