Current conditions at Bird Creek Meadow or Indian Heaven?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Cattrapper

Current conditions at Bird Creek Meadow or Indian Heaven?

Post by Cattrapper » June 19th, 2008, 4:27 am

I realize this is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know what the snow situation is at Bird Creek Meadow or Indian Heaven? I'm going to be in Trout Lake for the weekend and would love to visit one of these.

Assuming there's still to much snow for those areas, big stretch I know. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

TIA,
Darin
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

Martell

Re: Current conditions at Bird Creek Meadow or Indian Heaven?

Post by Martell » June 19th, 2008, 7:06 am

I think even in a normal year there would be a lot of snow up at Indian Heaven right now. Probably even more this year.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 19th, 2008, 7:50 am

According to the snotel site at Surprise lakes in Indian heaven, there is still over 5 feet of snow on the ground:
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl- ... 7&state=WA
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

drm

Post by drm » June 19th, 2008, 8:33 am

The best hike in the Trout Lake area now if you want to get relatively high but avoid snow is Salt Creek (which actually follows Cascade Creek). The very short drive (less than a mile) on a dirt road off of FR 23 is a bit rough with some potholes, but any passenger car can do it if you go slow. The trail was mostly melted out a couple of weeks ago. It's a mostly flat hike a bit less than 3 miles one way. This hike is in the low 3000's. It's not good for views, but there are raging creeks, nice forest, etc. It's also got good rustic camping - both at the trailhead and in a ways for those who like short backpacks.

You can't get to Indian Heaven trailheads yet, let alone hike. Both Indian Heaven and Bird Creek will not be open until at least late July, except maybe for the southern Indian Racetrack trailhead for Indian Heaven. The roads are almost open to that trailhead, but I'm sure you will hit snow very quickly on the trail.

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » June 19th, 2008, 12:33 pm

Kinda off topic, but what's the camping/backpacking situation in Bird Creek Meadow? I'm looking for an August destination.

fettster

Post by fettster » June 19th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:According to the snotel site at Surprise lakes in Indian heaven, there is still over 5 feet of snow on the ground:
Is there a clickable map that shows all the snotel sites scattered across the state?

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 19th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Home page, left hand column, near the bottom--snow levels for OR and snow levels for WA.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 20th, 2008, 7:08 am

fettster wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:According to the snotel site at Surprise lakes in Indian heaven, there is still over 5 feet of snow on the ground:
Is there a clickable map that shows all the snotel sites scattered across the state?
Yes. Here is the link to the main page:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/index.html

From there, click on the red dot designating the recording site you want to see. Once at the specific site, click on whatever you want to take a look at or scroll down on the page to get hourly data for the current and the past month.

Most of the data can be downloaded into a text file and translated into excel so you can do a fair amount of research using the data if you really get into it.

- Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

fettster

Post by fettster » June 20th, 2008, 11:22 am

Yep, this is what I was looking for:
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Oregon/oregon.html

Thanks Don and GH!