Three Sisters Recommendation

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
toby

Three Sisters Recommendation

Post by toby » August 7th, 2008, 7:44 am

I am looking for an overnighter in the Three Sisters area this weekend. I am new to the Portland area and am not familiar with the Three Sisters but I hear it is a great place to see. Around 10-15 miles round trip would be ideal. Wanted to get down there around the Fourth of July but the snow was still pretty bad...

Thanks.

greglief

Re: Three Sisters Recommendation

Post by greglief » August 7th, 2008, 9:05 am

Hi!

Unfortunately you will not have many options yet due to the snow. However, you might be able to get to Green Lakes, which is a beautiful spot. I suggest that you call the Deschutes NF to get more specifics (541-383-5300).

Greg
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

Paul

Post by Paul » August 7th, 2008, 9:10 am

Camp Lake (Chambers lake area) is my favorite. It's about a 15 mile hike from the Park Ridge TH, and if I remember correctly, it's about 8 miles from Pole Spring Creek. But like greglief said, the snow will probably be an issue. I would call the forest service over there.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

toby

Post by toby » August 7th, 2008, 10:09 am

Thanks for the info, I called the FS and they said they should be OK. I will give it a shot and post a report and pictures when I return.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » August 7th, 2008, 10:37 am

Looking forward to your report Toby and welcome to the site!

Levi

Post by Levi » August 7th, 2008, 2:05 pm

I was down in that area two weeks ago. We climbed middle sister and camped at Camp Lake and the trail was easy to find. Some people said the backside of the mountain was really covered and it was hard to find the trail. But we just went from Pole Creek to camp lake and had no problem with the snow

toby

Post by toby » August 8th, 2008, 7:25 am

Change of plan, we will be going to Packwood lake (or other lakes in the area) in Goat Rocks Wilderness area up in WA. I will make a report and take some pictures. Have a good weekend.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » August 11th, 2008, 5:49 pm

toby wrote:Change of plan, we will be going to Packwood lake (or other lakes in the area) in Goat Rocks Wilderness area up in WA. I will make a report and take some pictures. Have a good weekend.
Looking forward to a Packwood Lake TR. I got turned back out there last Spring (07) due to snow and have been itching to get back there again ever since