Timberline Trail Update? Elk Meadow?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Bosco

Timberline Trail Update? Elk Meadow?

Post by Bosco » August 6th, 2008, 8:57 am

Hi All! Pretty new to the forum, so greetings!

I was looking at trying to do a 1-2 nite backpack to Wy'east Basin and Elk Cove this weekend, but the ranger station's still reporting 4-6 of snow on the north side trails. Now I'm looking to the other side. Has anyone had any success, or know of current trail conditions getting to Elk Meadow, via the HRM trailhead?

scrambler2

Re: Timberline Trail Update? Elk Meadow?

Post by scrambler2 » August 6th, 2008, 11:59 am

We did a backpack out of there 2 weeks ago. HRM to Timberline Trail via Umbrella Falls and back down via the Clark/Newton(?). We only encountered snow on the Timberline Trail. We did not go to Elk Meadows but did see some backpackers headed to Elk Meadows. You should be fine.
PCT class of 2012

Bosco

Post by Bosco » August 6th, 2008, 12:01 pm

Great news - thanx! It's been really difficult planning trips this summer with all the late lingering snow.

C.C. Hon

Post by C.C. Hon » August 11th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Sure, you can get to Elk Meadows via the HRM trailhead, no problem. From there you can get as high as Bluegrass Ridge without too much snow.

Most of the TT on the north side still has quite a bit of snow with the shaded areas having even more. I wouldn't think about any long hikes in that area until Labor Day maybe.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » August 11th, 2008, 9:56 pm

Just remember, all of that side of the mountain including the Timberline Trail from Cloud Cap to White River is closed due to the fire in progress. See posts elsewhere on the site.

Paul

Post by Paul » August 12th, 2008, 6:31 am

The trail from McNiel trail to Top Spur is passable, with snow only in a few places.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 12th, 2008, 6:37 am

I'm heading up Vista Ridge today; I'll have a snow report tonight.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 12th, 2008, 9:24 pm

[email protected] wrote:Just remember, all of that side of the mountain including the Timberline Trail from Cloud Cap to White River is closed due to the fire in progress. See posts elsewhere on the site.
BUT.. the Timberline Trail itself is open. Go figure. (Of course, that's not very helpful when all the east-side "feeder" trails are closed.)

By the way, here's my promised snow report from Vista Ridge: yes, there's still craploads of snow on the Timberline Trail in the vicinity of Wy'East basin. Don't even think about trying to navigate around the mountain unless you have every foot of the route memorized, or have a good GPS with maps and/or lots of verified waypoints.

That said, if you can get up ABOVE Timberline, everything's fine and dandy once you get out of the trees. (And the Wy'East Basin meadows are mostly snow-free, just very wet.)