Jefferson Park Wildflower season?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Birdieman

Jefferson Park Wildflower season?

Post by Birdieman » August 6th, 2008, 7:51 am

With the latest report of snow conditions at Jefferson Park, I am
curious to know if people think there will be a wildflower bloom this season.

What is the latest in the year that anyone has seen the wildflower season
in Jefferson Park?

I was hoping to take my daughter for her first backpack trip to Jeff Park
this year timed with the peak wildflower bloom.

If there is no real bloom this year, what does that mean for next years bloom
given a normal winter season?

Will it be a spectacular year for wildflowers or a poor year because they
missed a year?

I want to hike in from the North over Park Ridge. What are peoples opinions about
the roads (time and conditions) to the trail head? I live Portland area, so I can go
up the Clackamas or South through Detroit.

All opinions are appreciated.

mattisnotfrench

Re: Jefferson Park Wildflower season?

Post by mattisnotfrench » August 6th, 2008, 8:42 am

I can't say much about the flowers because the park is still under 7+ feet of snow, but if you want to go in the North route...hooohoohoohooheehehehehehe...have fun. The trail is amazing but the road will try your patience, to say the least. It gets progressively worse and worse until right before Breitenbush Lake, where it becomes downright horrible. Unless you have a tank don't even bother coming in from the Olallie Lake side; believe it or not that section of 4220 is even worse! The drive in from 46 is doable but as I said, it takes an eternity to get there from Portland. I'd actually recommend going down to Salem and driving up to Detroit, as the time on the Interstate and 22 will be much faster than going the whole way on 224/46.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

greglief

Post by greglief » August 6th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Hi,

It pains me to say this, but I don't think that there will be much of a wildflower bloom at Jefferson Park by the time that the snow finally melts.

I second Matt's opinion on the north trail. When the time finally comes, you might want to consider the south approach via the Sentinel Hills. The trail may not be as scenic as Park Ridge, but there is something to be said for the ability to get to a trailhead in a normal passenger car.

For what it's worth, I too was hoping to take my daughter to Jeff Park for her first backpack trip this summer. I still intend to do that later in August (or September), because I think it is still a beautiful location even without the wildflowers.

As to your questions about next year's bloom, I would like to remain optimistic that three will be more wildflowers than usual, not only at Jeff Park but at many locations which have been adversely affected this spring and summer. But even a "normal" bloom at Jeff Park is pretty spectacular!

Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

kelkev

Post by kelkev » August 6th, 2008, 6:59 pm

The Pacific Crest trail heading south to Park Ridge from Breitenbush Lake is absolutely one of the most beautiful hikes in Oregon. The road is, as has been noted, rough at best. But the three times I have hiked this trail, I have seen MANY passenger cars at the trailhead. I must say that I'm glad that I wasn't the owner of any of them. Attainable, yes, but it will take you some serious time to get there compared to the Whitewater trail just out of Idanha. Great road, well graded trail with some decent scenery at times, especially as you near the park with wildflower meadows and Whitewater Creek.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » August 6th, 2008, 8:02 pm

By the way, the South Breitenbush approach has the best views, the best wildflowers and the least amount of people. We hiked it on a Saturday at the end of July last year and crossed five people. The entire hike, not counting Russell Lake. I'm dead serious. It's extremely well-graded, the views are spectacular the entire hike, the trailhead is almost deserted, and you won't even realize you've climbed almost 3,000 feet because there's only one part on the whole trail that's even semi-steep.

I tell you all this because I pimp the trail, but also because the secret should be out at least a little more. The selfish side of me just hopes it doesn't end up featured in a hiking guide. It's just as beautiful if not more beautiful than the Park Ridge approach, but the access road is better and the trail is a pleasure.

Photos from last year's trip:

Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » August 6th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Man, this is reminding me that I need to finish my Field Guide entries for the Jefferson Park trails!
Attachments
Jefferson Park 138.jpg
Heaven along the South Breitenbush. This is maybe a half mile before you reach the junction with the PCT and is the best wildflower meadow I've ever seen in Oregon. Period. The pictures don't do it justice.
Jefferson Park 100.jpg
Getting closer!
Jefferson Park 093.jpg
The second great wildflower meadow...
Jefferson Park 054.jpg
The first great wildflower meadow...
Jefferson Park 039.jpg
Here's the view you get of Jefferson pretty much the entire way on the South Breitenbush trail...

Birdieman

Post by Birdieman » August 6th, 2008, 9:29 pm

I am sure glad I found this web site.....what a great resource of experience :!:

Thanks to all for the opinions so far.

I will definately look into the other approaches into the park.

Mattisnotfrench...thanks for the photos. I really like the panoramic view.
Is that Russell Lake?

Again...thanks to all. :D

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 7th, 2008, 8:38 am

Here's my photo map from August 2 of last year: http://adamschneider.net/photos/2007-08-jp/map.htm

We considered doing the South Breitenbush trailhead, but settled on Whitewater because it was already a very long day trip from Portland, and we wanted the quickest route possible.

greglief

Post by greglief » August 7th, 2008, 8:51 am

Matt, thank you very much for the info about (and wonderful photos from) the South Breitenbush approach. I will have to do that next time, if for no other reason than to be able to see Mt. Jefferson looming ahead most of the way. There are not many views of it along the Whitewater Creek/Sentinel Hills route.

It also looks like you saw more wildflowers along the SB trail than what I saw along the Whitewater trail. But there was one meadow along the PCT between the Whitewater trail junction and Jeff Park that really caught my eye...

We probably won't be seeing much of that this year... :cry:
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » August 7th, 2008, 8:58 am

adamschneider wrote:Here's my photo map from August 2 of last year: http://adamschneider.net/photos/2007-08-jp/map.htm

We considered doing the South Breitenbush trailhead, but settled on Whitewater because it was already a very long day trip from Portland, and we wanted the quickest route possible.
The nice thing is that they're all great trails and all well worth doing. We were on a camping trip on the Breitenbush and so doing the South Breitenbush trail was far more convenient. I've done all three and I'd rank it like this:

Most scenic overall:
1. South Breitenbush (10/10)
2. Park Ridge (9.5/10)
3. Whitewater (8.5/10)

Best access road:
1. Whitewater (8/10)
2. South Breitenbush (7/10)
3. Park Ridge (2/10)

Mileage (roundtrip):
1. Whitewater (10.2)
2. Park Ridge (12)
3. South Breitenbush (13)

Elevation Gain:
1. Whitewater (1800)
2. Park Ridge (2500)
3. South Breitenbush (2800)

Crowds (1 being solitary, 10 being Multnomah Falls):
1. South Breitenbush (2/10)
2. Park Ridge (4/10)
3. Whitewater (9/10)

So, make your own decisions there. I didn't do wildflowers as I did the Park Ridge trail in October and the Whitewater Trail in September. The best spot in the park for wildflowers though is almost certainly along the South Breitenbush River though. All in all they're all well worth doing and all of them have their excellent points.

Also, I have no first-hand information but I suspect that the South Breitenbush trail is probably the most doable right now due to it being open the majority of the way. It sounds like the worst snow everywhere happens to be in the forest. Regardless, if you want wildflowers and Jefferson views, there's a lot to see along the trail even without getting into the park. The meadows and views are pretty constant once you break out of the forest about two miles in.

Greg, that meadow is really impressive. I need to go back and do the Whitewater Trail again as its been probably 15 years (I was 12, I believe...).