Chinidere/Tomlike Mountain Hike?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
NWMike

Chinidere/Tomlike Mountain Hike?

Post by NWMike » August 5th, 2008, 1:56 pm

I have been looking through various hikes for the last several days, trying to decide on a good one to take my significant other with on her first real overnight/mountain hike. I'm originally from Spokane, so I don't know the area real well, but I've done alot of hiking in Montana, Idaho and Eastern Wash so I feel like I can handle pretty much anything over this way. Would driving out and doing Chinidere Mtn on a saturday, then camp at Wahtum Lake, then on a Sunday attempt Tomlike be a decent option? It looks like it can be done, though the trail report on Tomlike isn't quite as detailed as Chinidere so I don't know if its possible or not...anyone have any insights or other suggestions? I'd love to get away from the crowds a bit, and perhaps something with a view? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

joerunner

Re: Chinidere/Tomlike Mountain Hike?

Post by joerunner » August 6th, 2008, 6:14 am

If your talking about driving to Wahtum lake then a trip to Chinedere and Tomlike in one day would be feasible.
Chinedere is a well marked side trail right off the pct. Tomlike is not so obvious because there is no established side trail. You will need to follow the herman creek trail up to the Eastern edge of the ridge that Tomlike sits on then kind of follow the primitive paths through the trees until you break out and can see up the ridge. There will probably still be some snow up there between Wahtum and Tomlike mt.

If your planning on hiking up from the Gorge then a 2 day trip would be just about right.

NWMike

Re: Chinidere/Tomlike Mountain Hike?

Post by NWMike » August 6th, 2008, 6:47 am

Thanks!