Mt. Hood Meadows

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
adamschneider

Mt. Hood Meadows

Post by adamschneider » August 5th, 2008, 8:54 am

I'm thinking of checking out the ridge between Newton Creek and Clark Creek (there's no official trail up the ridge, but it looks doable), and it seems Mount Hood Meadows would be the best place to start the trip -- I'll find a way up to the Timberline Trail and head counter-clockwise from there.

Anyway, my question: is it okay to park at MHM in the summer? I've never been up there.

retired jerry

Re: Mt. Hood Meadows

Post by retired jerry » August 5th, 2008, 11:00 am

I've wondered the same

In the summer there's a gate just before MHM that is usually open. No sign saying you can't go past. I worried that if I parked there they'de close the gate. It's wide enough to park just before the gate.

There's at least one gravel road that goes up to and beyond the Timberline trail from the ski area parking lot.

It's looked like there's lots of wide open areas you could could go way up on the mountain.

I wonder if you could cross over to Gnarl ridge?

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » August 5th, 2008, 11:54 am

i parked there last summer to walk down to umbrella falls... no problems
Jamey Pyles

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 5th, 2008, 6:59 pm

I don't know what the conditions are like currently but there is a trail along newton creek, while not official is easily accessed from Hood River Meadows. Follow the trail to Newton Creek and make a left on the trail just before the creek. That trail is easily followed up to Timberline Trail. Last year portions of it were washed away but easily navigated past those washouts. It's a lovely hike, especially in the fall.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 5th, 2008, 9:45 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:I don't know what the conditions are like currently but there is a trail along newton creek, while not official is easily accessed from Hood River Meadows. Follow the trail to Newton Creek and make a left on the trail just before the creek. That trail is easily followed up to Timberline Trail. Last year portions of it were washed away but easily navigated past those washouts. It's a lovely hike, especially in the fall.
Isn't that just the Newton Creek Trail, #646?

I'll be wanting to get up to Timberline further south than that; I'm sure there's a way...

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 6th, 2008, 1:22 am

adamschneider wrote:
Waffle Stomper wrote:I don't know what the conditions are like currently but there is a trail along newton creek, while not official is easily accessed from Hood River Meadows. Follow the trail to Newton Creek and make a left on the trail just before the creek. That trail is easily followed up to Timberline Trail. Last year portions of it were washed away but easily navigated past those washouts. It's a lovely hike, especially in the fall.
Isn't that just the Newton Creek Trail, #646?

I'll be wanting to get up to Timberline further south than that; I'm sure there's a way...
I think you are correct. For some reason I did not think that was an official trail as it does not show up on my topo map as a trail but looking into it more I think that is 646. I'd be interested in hearing about an alternate route.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 6th, 2008, 5:06 am

The Newton Creek Trail is really nice. Especially towards the top where it joins the Timberline Trail, there are great views.