I would like to climb Mt. Hood with an experienced group

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Marshalltb

I would like to climb Mt. Hood with an experienced group

Post by Marshalltb » July 28th, 2010, 12:13 am

Hello, I am inquiring about climbing Mt. Hood this summer. A bit about myself... I am a 26 male in good physical condition. I am running the portlandxterra triathlon in three weeks and am an avid runner and hiker, but also spend a fair amount of time mountain biking, doing yoga, and lifting weights. I do not have a lot of climbing background, however do have my own harness and shoes, and go climbing with friends sometimes, so I have some basic knowledge.

I am hoping to climb Mt. Hood sometime between August 15 and September 20th. I can provide my own equipment if necessary, however would rather rent or borrow (I would replace anything that was lost or broken of course) the equipment as I am a student and do not have a lot of money. I am hoping to find a solid group of people to do it with. By solid, I mean a group of people that have all done it before, are skilled and experienced, and take a professional approach to the climb.

I am very serious about accomplishing this feat before I go back to school the end of September. Please write me back via this forum or e-mail me at [email protected] if you would like to talk more personally. I live in Hood River and would be willing to meet up in person if you would like to talk about it before setting any actual plans.

Any information ya'll could give me to point me in the right direction would be very helpful!

Thank you,

Marshall Baxter

Jane

Re: I would like to climb Mt. Hood with an experienced group

Post by Jane » July 28th, 2010, 9:09 am

Welcome! Thank you for your inquiries about Mt. Hood, and realizing that it is a serious endeavor. Training and preparation are of the utmost importance, and I'm hoping others will chime in here for advice. Check with the Mazamas for info and advice as well :
http://www.mazamas.org/your/adventure/starts-here/C87/

recent reports:

Brian: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=8&t=5425

Andy: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=8&t=5453

zippyslug31

Post by zippyslug31 » July 29th, 2010, 8:18 am

Marshalltb wrote:I am hoping to climb Mt. Hood sometime between August 15 and September 20th.
If you plan on climbing it from the south side, then the dates mentioned will be your biggest problem. Typically the mountain is shedding lots of ice and rocks at this time of year and makes for a fairly dangerous climb due to objective hazards.

Good luck.

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 30th, 2010, 8:22 pm

There is absolutely no reason that anyone should be climbing Hood during the dates you are targeting. The snow is mostly gone and the rocks are falling like crazy so safety is a huge concern. Hood is best during the spring and early summer (and during good weather in the winter). The mountain will still be there next year so I would recommend not rushing it and doing something stupid and trying another mountain instead. Adams can be climbed from the north or south relatively safely during the dates you are looking and the mountain is more than 1000' taller than Hood.

Marshalltb

Post by Marshalltb » July 31st, 2010, 8:14 pm

BJC-

Thanks for the reply! Yes, that is what I have started to figure out. I'm pretty smart and am not one to get in over my head, however I don't know many people involved in the sport and thus why I am posting here to get more information on how to go about doing things... I am also an emergency medical tech and am going to nursing school so I am very safety conscious. I am going to climb Mt. Adams tho. Since I don't know many people in the sport, I am stuck searching this endevour out on my own instead, of having friends I know introduce me to the sport.

What kind of beta can you give me on climbing Mt. Adams. For what I've been told its a pretty straightforward day-hike, or can be broken into an overnight trip. I think I'd like to set it up to climb it after my triathlon in probably about three weeks. I am hoping to find a more experienced person to do it with, otherwise I'm going to do it on my own, or with some other very active and healthy 20 somethings peers of mine.

Any information you can give me would be helpful. I'm set on doing it soon (probably August 20ish) so directions/ and the best place to locate a good trail map (forest service? I live in Hood River) and any other must need items other than the essentials would be great!

Thanks for your help!

Marshall

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 31st, 2010, 10:01 pm

Mt. Adams South side route is basically just a walk up.

Can be icy places where crampons and ice axe would be good. In August Septemebr probably less so.

No rocks or ice falling on you like Mt. Hood, so you can do it year-round.

Kind of long for a day hike.

The altitude on top was a real killer for me. Other people don't have this problem. If you do it in two days you can aclimatize a little.

There have been trip reports here, and will probably be more.

Roy

Post by Roy » August 1st, 2010, 9:05 am

Lots of info on this link about Mt Adams http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... adams.html. I don't know what kind of foot wear you have but if you rent gear I think only plastic mountaineering boots are available. They can be hard on your shins and ankles for this kind of trip.Trekking poles would be handy.

On weekends and most likely weekdays there will be plenty of people going up the south spur to follow. There is a phone number to the Mt Adams ranger district and and update on conditions on this link http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount-adams/.

I believe they sell maps on line at GPNF home page.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

jessbee

Post by jessbee » August 1st, 2010, 4:44 pm

Hey there Marshall, you've gotten some good advice already and I'm glad you're considering Adams instead. I was hoping to do that as a dayhike this year but the gods would have otherwise....

I have done a bit of mountaineering myself and if I wasn't waiting for a broken foot to heal right now I'd be happy to go up with you. If you're still looking for partners in the spring (fingers crossed my foot is back to climbing shape) let's talk climbing.

Have fun up there :)

Jess
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Marshalltb

Post by Marshalltb » August 1st, 2010, 11:26 pm

Thanks for the info Roy, thats perfect. Do you think I can get away with just wearing my regular hiking boots though?

Jess, bummer about your foot... I hear ya, I'm still rehabbing from shoulder surgery, kinda why I'm starting to get involved with mountaineering activities instead sitting in a kayak all the time :) Keep up the rehab!

Marsh

BCJ

Post by BCJ » August 2nd, 2010, 10:58 pm

Marshalltb wrote:Thanks for the info Roy, thats perfect. Do you think I can get away with just wearing my regular hiking boots though?

Jess, bummer about your foot... I hear ya, I'm still rehabbing from shoulder surgery, kinda why I'm starting to get involved with mountaineering activities instead sitting in a kayak all the time :) Keep up the rehab!

Marsh
You'll be fine with waterproof hiking boots and gaiters (that's what I wore up Rainier last week and I was fine). DO NOT use rented plastic boots up there this time of year...you'll regret it. Bring shell pants for the glissade that you aren't worried about wearing out. You can also use a cheap pair of rain pants...they work great. The climb is non-technical and a fantastic intro to the Cascade volcanoes.