Toddler rock throwing recommendations...

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Jacko

Toddler rock throwing recommendations...

Post by Jacko » August 1st, 2008, 1:00 pm

Howdy -

Want to take my 2.5 year old on a short hike. A huge motivating factor for her is a nice beach or place to throw rocks in the water.

One of the best spots is along Wahclella Falls - there is a nice gravel sandbar below the falls that is perfect. But now I want to go somewhere else...

Any recommendations on a 2 +/- mile hike to a lake, creek, or river? Needs to be minimal elevations change - say 300-400 feet or less. Was thinking about June Lake...

Help?

Grannyhiker

Re: Toddler rock throwing recommendations...

Post by Grannyhiker » August 1st, 2008, 3:46 pm

It's amazing how much kids like to throw pebbles--and sand--into water. If neither are available, a stick will do:

This is Hyas Lake, in WA, east of Seattle and northwest of Cle Elum. The reflection is of Cathedral Rock. My grandson JP was 6 at the time and this was his first real backpacking trip, about 2 miles and not much elevation gain from the trailhead at the end of the Salmon La Sac road. Unfortunately all my hiking-with-grandkids experience has been closer to Seattle because that's where they live.

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » August 1st, 2008, 6:21 pm

Hey Jacko,

One of our favorite rock skipping spots is Siouxon Creek. You can make the hike as long or as short as you like. The elevation is in your range, with plenty of creek access.

Adam

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » August 2nd, 2008, 12:02 pm

I'll second Siouxon Creek. Went there last Sunday. Hiked to Chinook falls and back approx 8 miles. But at about 2/10 of a mile on, the trail follows the creek with several side trails leading to the creek and some nice emerald pools.
I would also recommend this for a first backpack trip with young ones also. Heck you could even pull a wagon down the trail to some of the camp sites if you needed more comfort items for kids.

rosecity

Post by rosecity » August 3rd, 2008, 8:56 am

my children (now grown) would go anywhere for berry picking and waterfalls. They loved lower Latourell Falls. I would think that a beach walk on Sauvie Island towards Warrior Rock with a U Pick blueberry detour would be fun for a small child.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » August 3rd, 2008, 8:33 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:It's amazing how much kids like to throw pebbles--and sand--into water. If neither are available, a stick will do:

This is Hyas Lake, in WA, east of Seattle and northwest of Cle Elum. The reflection is of Cathedral Rock. My grandson JP was 6 at the time and this was his first real backpacking trip, about 2 miles and not much elevation gain from the trailhead at the end of the Salmon La Sac road. Unfortunately all my hiking-with-grandkids experience has been closer to Seattle because that's where they live.
Wow! Very cool photo!!

smokey

Post by smokey » August 4th, 2008, 10:22 pm

I love this thread, as I also have a 2 1/2 year old. As long as there's water, he finds something to throw in it! :lol: I'll be watching this thread with interest!

cfm

Post by cfm » August 7th, 2008, 12:18 pm

Well this is a little advanced for the toddler crowd, but on Tuesday when it was 92 degrees in town, I took my family (including some visiting from Brooklyn NY) up Moffet Creek. Less than a mile, but it is a challenging scramble up the creek bed which we did in sandals which kept us nice and cool. The kids- ages 5,7 and 9 led the way. They loved the waterfall goal at the end, and a long game of "enemy ship" was conducted in the splash pool.
Moffet.jpg
I think the tides are starting to turn with my five year old, from now on I'm going to have to hustle to keep up with him!
wait up!.jpg

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » August 7th, 2008, 3:09 pm

"Enemy Ship" is fun, especially at a lake when you can "launch" logs that the kids can bomb with rocks. Honestly they can play this game for hours.

smokey

Post by smokey » August 9th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Our toddler had a blast throwing rocks into Siouxon Creek today. It was a bit challenging getting him down to the creek (a bit steep, but manageable), but well worth it.