Saddle Mountain?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
groupb

Saddle Mountain?

Post by groupb » July 31st, 2008, 9:04 am

I understand people are hiking Saddle Mountain despite the trail closure for tree clearing and a recent broken ankle & USCG rescue.

Anyone have actual trail conditions from this month?

Thanks,

Bill

Stevefromdodge

Re: Saddle Mountain?

Post by Stevefromdodge » July 31st, 2008, 10:18 am

We've had a couple of reports lately:

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... ?f=8&t=110

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... ?f=8&t=351

I'm so in love with our new search engine!

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 31st, 2008, 10:47 am

I was there a couple of weeks ago and the trail is in fine shape...no reason that anyone with moderate abilities couldn't get up there. There is just one small section of trail where it's washed out that presents any sort of a challenge and that challenge is quite minimal (trekking poles help).

groupb

Post by groupb » July 31st, 2008, 4:26 pm

Big Thanks, Steve & BCJ,

You've saved our family reunion! Our planned hike was canceled when we learned the trail was "closed," - and that was our primary group activity for the weekend.

We'll be hitting the trail tomorrow, Friday, and hoping for similar conditions to the recent reports - but don't expect to get the great pics posted here.

And thanks for renewing my failth in the search engine - I was unsuccessful this morning searching for saddle mountain, but will try to learn the system next week when we return.

Thank you, PHO Community!

Bill

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 31st, 2008, 4:50 pm

Yes! the search capability on the new site is far better than on the old one - well if for nothing else, that it actually WORKS! :S

groupb

NO Entry Saddle Mountain

Post by groupb » August 5th, 2008, 12:18 pm

Well, we tried - got to the entry road last Friday just off 26 to find it chained and "CLOSED." (Six miles short of the trailhead).

So we improvised & drove another 12 miles to Ecola where 7 kids & 8 adults hiked the 1.5mi down to Indian Pt. beach and had a blast playing in the surf.

Looks like we'll miss Saddle Mtn's wildflower show this summer.

Bill

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » August 5th, 2008, 3:13 pm

Thanks for letting us know, Bill.

Sounds like something has changed in the minds of the legal types.

jley

Post by jley » August 5th, 2008, 5:57 pm

How bizarre... I was up there 2 weeks ago, and the trail was in great shape. They'd done quite a bit of work on it. My only guess is that they were doing some more serious work during the week, like blasting, or helicopter drop-offs, and didn't want hikers going up/down the trail.

It's funny though, that I've done that same thing in the past - headed to Saddle Mtn, found it closed, and wound up at Ecola!

Levi

Post by Levi » August 7th, 2008, 2:10 pm

I may be wrong but the road going in is closed on weekdays. I remember seeing a sign that said something like that