Bugs

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
weekend_warrior

Bugs

Post by weekend_warrior » June 23rd, 2010, 10:20 am

Any reports of swarming, man/woman eating flies and mosquitoes yet? It's got to be about that time now that snow is melting rapidly. Considering a Burnt/Cast Lake outing, possibly other lakes too, just wondering if anyone has any recent reports...

Waffle Stomper

Re: Bugs

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 23rd, 2010, 3:33 pm

I was at Trillium Lake two weekends ago, the skeeters were out in force.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » June 27th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Kiss off Indian Heaven for the next couple of months. I parked at Crest Camp Saturday and wasn't out of my vehicle more then a couple of minutes before famous Indian Heaven mosquito cloud appeared. :roll:

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 27th, 2010, 8:36 pm

About the time the huckleberries ripen!

Any place that's a relatively flat plateau with lots of lakes (some more like swamps) is going to be mosquito heaven. That includes not only Indian Heaven but also "Mosquito Valley" north of White Pass and the Olallie Lakes area as well as a number of areas farther south. Fortunately, it's usually bearable by mid-August, and really beautiful by mid-September, when the huckleberry bushes are turning red but still have some berries on them.

drm

Post by drm » June 29th, 2010, 6:08 pm

There were some mosquitoes at the trailheads at MSH last weekend, but not a one at June Lake. There were lots of crawlies in the lake that were obviously about to pop out pretty soon.

kelkev

Post by kelkev » June 29th, 2010, 7:45 pm

I sprayed my first dose of DEET this year, they were friendly at Marion Lake today. Love that buzzing in the ears.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 30th, 2010, 7:19 am

Okay, here's a question: it is just folklore that only the male mosquitos buzz, and that it's mainly the silent females that are after your blood? It doesn't make a lot of sense that the males could do without feeding, of course, but this one has been around since I was kid... probably just to give us the creeps about those silent stalkers..! :lol:

I'd love to hear a report on the Serene/Cache loop -- I've yet to hit the snow-free-bug-free window at Cache Meadow (or that area anytime before Autumn when there weren't bugs, for that matter).

Tom

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 30th, 2010, 7:47 am

I thought the females like to have a blood meal before laying eggs, but it's not absolutely required

drm

Post by drm » June 30th, 2010, 10:44 am

Right, only females bite because they need protein from blood to produce eggs. Otherwise they both are pollinators. I don't know if it's absolutely required to produce eggs, or just helps them produce more.