PARADISE PARK - MT HOOD - OPEN FOR HIKING SEASON as of 7/23

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
[email protected]

PARADISE PARK - MT HOOD - OPEN FOR HIKING SEASON as of 7/23

Post by [email protected] » July 23rd, 2008, 7:25 pm

We had a great hike today (7/23) from Timberline Lodge over and down the Zig Zag Canyon and up to Paradise Park. We were a group of 12 on a Mazama scheduled hike with different levels of abilities. That didn't matter, the route is easy and needs nothing extra but trekking poles. We opened the Paradise Park for the 2008 Season - at least a month later than normal but it appears that we were about the first people there and with twelve people left a pretty good boot track on what snow remains.
The hardest part of the hike is actual from Timberline Lodge to the Zig Zag Canyon overlook. The trail is about 60% snow-free but since the trail winds around and drops it is sometimes hard to follow. No problem from Timberline Lodge to the Wilderness signage. From there about 1/2 mile of snow sometimes 3-4 feet but the trail is visible sometimes. Don't worry - you'll eventually get over to the grand overlook and the last 1/4 mile to same is snow free.
From there to Paradise Park is a breeze. Dropping down into Zig Zag there is no snow on the trail, only a couple of blow-downs and a bridge in need of repair. All very easy to get around/over.
The crossing of the Zig Zag River is fairly easy - there is a log upstream from the trail which seemed to work well both in the AM and in the return when the water was flowing more. Some obstructions left-over on the riverbanks but easy to get around. Up to Paradise park - the only snow is found just around the corner coming up from the river. The rest of the trail is 100% OK and visible all the way into the Park. At the upper entrance to the Park, the snow begins but you are on relatively flat ground and heading upwards, there are tons of bare patches and the flowers are getting an overdose of good sun. The flower should be out in full-force in two weeks and I would estimate that the whole trail will be 100% snow-free by then. However, you can go there NOW - just make sure you know how to get to the Canyon overlook.
Enjoy this treasure on the upper flanks of Mt. Hood.

Tom

Paul

Re: PARADISE PARK - MT HOOD - OPEN FOR HIKING SEASON as of 7/23

Post by Paul » July 23rd, 2008, 8:55 pm

Thanks for the update. :D
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Birdieman

Post by Birdieman » July 24th, 2008, 11:37 am

Thanks for the trail report.

I have never been to Paradise Park during peak bloom.
Is it better than McNeil Point? If so, I have to make a trip!

McNeil Point was quite spectacular last weekend.

cluain

Post by cluain » July 24th, 2008, 5:29 pm

I was with Tom on this trip and it was an excellent hike. However, Tom is a great hike leader with great trail finding skills and believe me he needed them, because most of the trail for the first mile or more was covered in 5 feet of hardpacked snow. I am used to bushwhacking but finding a trail in the snow requires special skills, so I would advise people who intend to hike this trail in the next few weeks to be sure of what they are doing as you could easily get lost.Experienced hikers should have no problems.
The flower meadows are also covered in big drifts of hard packed snow which will not melt for weeks and then the flowers will take take another few weeks to grow so I would guess it will be three or four weeks before there will be a good flower display.

There is a bridge before crossing Zig Zag canyon which is leaning at a thirty degree angle so you need to be careful crossing that. It will have to be repaired for sure.Most of the trail that was clear, was in good shape needing minor tending. Bringing a loppers along on the hike would help to cut some brush on the trail .

Gaston

Post by Gaston » August 6th, 2008, 12:52 am

Does anyone have a current update on this trail? My sister is in town visiting and she is hoping to do the hike to Paradise Park tomorrow but I'm wondering if snow is still an issue....? Thanks for any info (especially if received in the next 10 hours....)

joerunner

Post by joerunner » August 6th, 2008, 6:08 am

The trail through Paradise Park may be fine but the pct below it still has a lot of snow. I guess because of the extra shade. I would not have attempted the section between the Sandy canyon and the Zig Zag mt. cutoff without my gps. The snow even has the first mile or so of the zig zag mt. trail covered. I saw 2 groups of hikers on the zig zag trail that had no idea where they were.

Gaston

Post by Gaston » August 6th, 2008, 7:43 am

Thanks. When you say "may be fine" does that mean you hiked it recently and the trail was reasonably clear from Timberline to Paradise Park...? Sounds like you are talking about the section from Paradise to Ramona Falls.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » August 6th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Paradise to Ramona Falls is clear. On the PCT/timberline trail from the Northern Paradise cutoff to the Southern paradise cutoff there is lots of snow and kind of hard to navigate. I'm thinking that the paradise trail (no first hand knowledge) is clear because of it's exposure. The pct section below paradise is shaded so it still has a lot of snow. I was on that section of the Pct/timberline trail last weekend but I did not go up into Paradise. I didn't do the section of Pct from paradise to timberline lodge.

Mt Fuji

Post by Mt Fuji » August 7th, 2008, 10:27 am

hey everyone, Sorry if I am asking questions that have been answered as I dont know all the trails up on Mt Hood particularly well yet.

Next week I am wanting to take the Burnt Lake Trail, up to East Zig Zag, then to Cast Lake, camp and come back down.

This is all clear correct?

bjul49

Post by bjul49 » August 7th, 2008, 1:19 pm

Gaston wrote:Thanks. When you say "may be fine" does that mean you hiked it recently and the trail was reasonably clear from Timberline to Paradise Park...? Sounds like you are talking about the section from Paradise to Ramona Falls.

I hiked this on Wednesday 6th August.There are still a lot of snow patches in the trees about 2 feet high and up to 8 feet in length.The trail is apparent between the snow patches, as long as you watch carefully for the use pattern in the snow, which is slippery and involves stepping up, and care when stepping off. Little Zig Zag river crossing is entirely under snow.It seems solid so far, but at some point the snow will melt, leaving an fall into the cold stream as an option. Big Zig Zag canyon's stream is crossable with care. Due to time/weather constraints we stopped here. A hiker said 2 days ago there was a lot of 3 feet deep snow before the Paradise turn off, and the Ranger station says the loop is "closed". However, several backpackers were going out as we came back. The flowers are still starting. It is nicer to use the Mountaineers trail up to the Timberline trail(directions in Sullivan), as the trail is less worn down.A few snow patches.