Question re: Backpacking Nick Eaton Ridge Loop Hike

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Brinda

Question re: Backpacking Nick Eaton Ridge Loop Hike

Post by Brinda » July 20th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Hi

I discovered this wonderful forum a couple of months back - and have been using it largely to to find out what to expect on hikes in the area. This is my first time posting on the forums - so hello everybody!

My husband and I are planning to do our first backpacking trip in the northwest - and considering that the number of times we have gone earlier has been few and far between - we could say in some ways that this is our first backpacking trip .

We were thinking of doing a weekend backpack on the Nick Eaton Ridge Loop (http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Loop_Hike) and camping at Herman Camp and Ridge Camp. I was wondering if these campsites get crowded on the weekends.

Also, I was reading a post about whether or not to bear bag with folks going both ways on this matter - so does one bear bag in the gorge? On our recent hikes we looked at trees to hang our bear bags up on and see hardly any good candidates ( we backpacked on the east coast earlier and always spent a lot of time searching for a suitable bear bag tree!) and was wondering what folks thoughts were on this matter.

Thanks!
Brinda

BCJ

Re: Question re: Backpacking Nick Eaton Ridge Loop Hike

Post by BCJ » July 20th, 2008, 9:54 pm

Regarding bear-bagging...the original thread was based on a trip in the Gorge so you can refer to the debate there as to what you are comfortable with. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a campsite, but I've never actually camped there so someone with more experience camping out there will probably be able to give better information.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 21st, 2008, 4:54 am

I don't think much of Herman Camp - too close to trailhead so it's more crowded, no drinking water.

I camped at the Herman Creek Trail - Casey Creek Trail junction and it was better. Continue on the Herman Creek Trail to Casey Creek for drinking water. There are several campsites next to the trail, so it's not real private. There's a campsite down a primitive trail at the forks of Casey Creek and Herman Creek, but that trail is difficult and I don't recommend it. I think there's another campsite further along the Herman Creek Trail.

Then walk up the Casey Creek Trail. This is very steep but otherwise not too difficult. About ten trees to cross but not too difficult.

If you're on the Nick Eaton Trail, the Casey Creek Trail is a bit difficult to find. There's a small wood sign that you can only see when going up (South) the Nick Eaton Trail.

I haven't been on the top part of Nick Eaton Trail, but I talked to someone who had just done it who said it was clear.

There is supposed to be drinking water at Ridge Camp if you follow a primitive trail to the Northeast.

Paul

Re: Q regd backpack Nick Eaton Ridge Loop Hike

Post by Paul » July 21st, 2008, 10:09 am

I prefer Gorton Creek over Nick Eaton Ridge, because it's much less steep. Longer though, of course. Also, around mile 4 Deadwood camp is an option. There is one site right off the trail, and another older site down below nearer to the creek.

Ridge camp is around 8-9 miles up or so, and olty has one site. there area is flat, however, so more opportunities to pitch a tent. There is water down to the east in Gorton Creeek. However, if you can get to North, Rainy, or even Whatum lake, it makes a great loop back down Herman Creek trail or the PCT.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Brinda

Post by Brinda » August 3rd, 2008, 7:59 pm

Thanks for all your tips!

We ended up walking down the Herman creek trail all the way because of our concern that Nick Eaton would be too steep and the lack of water on that trail.

We camped at Herman Camp on Friday night - which is very close to the entrance - but was pretty empty - probably because it was grey and rainy all of Friday. I wouldn't recommend that campsite because of the train noise. I kept waking up in the night whenever one went by with the horn on.

Casey Creek is dry - but there are numerous streams on Herman Creek trail which are still running.

We camped on Sat night at Cedar Swamp - which has many spots. Some of the other folks who camped there as well mentioned that they wanted to camp at Noble Camp but on getting to the approximate region of the camp - they couldn't locate it.

It was really a nice hike in and out - not very crowded ... and we got lots of pictures of streams and waterfalls courtesy the clouds!

Thanks once more for all the useful feedback!!

drm

Post by drm » August 4th, 2008, 10:37 am

Brinda wrote:
We camped on Sat night at Cedar Swamp - which has many spots. Some of the other folks who camped there as well mentioned that they wanted to camp at Noble Camp but on getting to the approximate region of the camp - they couldn't locate it.
You ended up with the better choice, I think. Noble camp is a single flat spot 5 or 10 minutes up the trail from the Herman Creek crossing, immediately on the right side. Cedar Swamp is a much larger area with creeks right there. Much more privacy, even if there are multiple groups.

I think that the cutoff trail from Herman Creek that goes up from Cedar Swamp to Nick Eaton is an easier (less steep) route up than the Casey Creek Trail. I'm thinking of doing a loop with a stay at Rainy Lake some day.

Paul

Post by Paul » August 4th, 2008, 11:22 am

I prefer Noble camp over Cedar Swap camp due to the multiple spots at Cedar Swamp. If all three (4 if you caount the one on the trail), you can see all groups from every spot. The noble camp spot is by itself, although there is a spot down to the left, right off the Creek, farther away from the trail.

Mud lake is also a couple miles away from Cedar Swamp and I hear it is a good spot, although I couldn't find it in the snow when I was up there.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers