Waldo Lake

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
HJG0989

Waldo Lake

Post by HJG0989 » July 20th, 2008, 10:54 am

Is it possible to hike all the way around Waldo Lake? I'm thinking this might be a good backpacking trip. Has anyone done it?

Thanks,

-helen

Cattrapper

Re: Waldo Lake

Post by Cattrapper » July 20th, 2008, 1:31 pm

Yes, there is a trail that goes all the way around the lake. I haven't hike it, so can't give you any specifics. Although, it doesn't look like it stays close to the lake shore all the way around.
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 20th, 2008, 1:32 pm

GREAT, GREAT backpacking trip. It is possible to hike around the lake, and several variations further away from the lake are possible if you want to see some Waldo Lake backcountry. The north end got torched like 12 years ago (I did it when I was sixteen, right after the fire...) and it was mosquito HELL (or heaven, for them). If you go and don't really like those nasty little creatures, go long after the snow has melted.

I highly recommend the area though, mosquitoes and all.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 » July 21st, 2008, 9:02 pm

Thank you for the replies. We are going as far as Eugene Friday night and will hopefully get an early start Sat. AM. I'll let you know how it goes.

-helen